Director TRIO Educational Opportunity Center
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Be a part of a dynamic community dedicated to providing the resources, guidance and inspiration needed to create the ultimate student experience: from registration and financial aid applications to the first time they arrive at one of our Centers of Excellence or log in to their first class, from academic success planning to providing a safe environment, and from connecting them with community networks to launching them into the career of their dreams. Make their student experience exceptional.
We are currently seeking a Director for the Trio Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
You: Innovator. Pacesetter. Agent of change. If you're a tech savvy, process improvement-focused Student Champion with a talent for developing partnerships with communities and individuals, we're looking for you.
Your mission: We'll count on you to supervise and manage all general activities of Educational Opportunity Center and carry out program policy as established in the federal guidelines. You will develop and maintain relationships with local high school, community agencies, and other TRIO programs in the Houston area.
TRiO programs: Federal TRIO Programs are designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. At HCC, the TRiO Educational Opportunity Center encourage and support eligible students through personalized services such as tutoring; supportive guidance and counseling; academic advising; college success workshops; university field trips; technology; and financial literacy.
Next steps: If you always have the student experience in the forefront of your planning and execution, if you're a collaborator, an innovator and a person who gets things done, apply today!
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
• Third-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
• 145 languages are spoken here.
• Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
• Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
• The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
• World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate health care system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
• With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
• Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
It is the policy of the Houston Community College System to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact the Employment Services Office at (713) 718-8565.
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Coordinate all activities related to the continued operation of the Educational Opportunity Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise and manage all general activities of Educational Opportunity Center and carry out program policy as established in the federal guidelines;
- Manage all finances and budgetary activities at the program level for each year;
- Manage documentation of confidential records of Educational Opportunity Center students;
- Supervise full-time staff, part-time program staff;
- Establish a comprehensive needs assessment system;
- Engage in development activities to help sustain the program after the grant period;
- Coordinate health services programs;
- Assist in conducting follow-up study of Educational Opportunity Center students (data collection, continuous program evaluation and writing research proposal);
- Assist with home visits;
- Assist with individualized counseling; and
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with personnel from local high school, community agencies, and other TRIO programs in the Houston area.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's Degree in Business, Business Education or an equivalent field. Master's preferred.
Three (3) years demonstrated successful experience in designing, managing, evaluating, and implementing TRIO or similar project.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge in student retention, training, project management, program development and implementation program sustainment, preferably in a related position within an institute or higher education;
- Ability to work with a diverse population;
- Demonstrated ability to compile student data for dissemination and reporting purposes;
- Bilingual a plus;
- Skill in budget management; and
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.