Assistant Director - Dining Services
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The Assistant Director is responsible for the management of Dining Services operations. This position is responsible for creating a vibrant and culinary diverse dining program that fosters community throughout campus. The Assistant Director keeps abreast and implements new concepts, practices and trends in the food service industry on an ongoing basis.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and experience.
- Culinary school classes preferred.
- Seven - ten years of food supervisory experience in a high volume food production setting.
- Banquet experience desirable.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Responsible for the supervision, training, work assignments and work schedules for Dining Service personnel
- Holds individuals accountable when standards are not met;
- Recommends staffing needs and assists in the selection and evaluation of staff;
- Identifies and works to resolve personnel problems.
- Assures established standards are maintained in each unit to include sanitation, renovation and building repair;
- Ensures high levels of cleanliness in all dining facilities and makes recommendations for complex facilities solutions.
- Holds regular meetings with direct reports to review: operational issues, financial issues, and unit cleanliness, compliance with federal and state health and safety regulations and to conduct audits of required reports.
- Analyzes anecdotal and customer feedback performance data on the quality of dining service in order to ensure there is continuous improvement in processes and programs.
- Provides direct oversight and responsibility for ensuring continued achievement of established department standards in programmatic benchmarks and department goals and objectives.
- Provides input in the formulation of menus and recipes for daily operation of all the units, including special diets for customers who require them.
- Works in collaboration with managers and Executive Chef for Culinary Development; ensures vendor compliance and quality assurance.
- Implements and assists in evaluating meal plans, policies and procedures as established by the director and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Recognize and acknowledge outstanding staff performance.
- Identifies and implements sustainable practices in all areas to include but limited to; menus, procurement, and use of various "green" resources and recycling.
- Develop and maintain executional customer service standards and achieves customer satisfaction goals (residents, guest and employee)
- Monitors a large complex budget and maintains fiscal records. Ensures compliance by management under his / her span of control in areas of financial costs, inventory standards and other cost mechanisms; provides regular financial reports and benchmarks to the Director on a regular basis.
- Advises and informs supervisory and dining personnel regarding policies, procedures, personnel issues and other matters pertaining to effective and efficient operations.
- Works a flexible schedule; may be required to work weekends; serves on various committees as appointed by the director. Acts for the director in his/her absence;
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.