Financial Aid Counselor
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for verifying accuracy of documentation and for providing quality assurance. The incumbent performs specialized support duties associated with processing, tracking and administering federal and state programs. Also included in the responsibilities are representing the Office of Financial Aid at all Open Houses, Orientations and other events held on the Marietta Campus.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging. Regular fulltime staff, administrators, and faculty enjoy the abundant array of University System health, retirement, and other benefits which includes tuition assistance after six months of employment. Additionally, GHC is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
• The incumbent in this role will verify the accuracy of documents and consistency of data from need analysis processor, federal tax returns, financial aid transcripts verification document, and student information; performs data analysis to identify discrepancies in data; determines action for resolution
• Maintains approved tracking system for applications and missing documents to allow for timely follow up and completion in accordance with internal policies and procedures
• Assist with the Financial Aid Customer Service Ticketing System
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of federal, state and institutional policies and procedures related to student financial aid
• Knowledge of program eligibility requirements
• Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
• Skill in the provision of customer services.
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
• Ability to multitask
• Ability to work independently while functioning in a team environment
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations and/or verify information accurately; and the ability to coordinate work with other employees, providing direct instruction or supervision as assigned
• Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of federal, state and institutional policies; and the ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally, by phone, in person, and in writing
• Banner and Xtender experience preferred.