Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 16-085
Campus: De Anza College
Number of Working Months: 12 Months
Starting Salary: $3,486.26 per month
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Initial Review Date: 12/13/16 *Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request. Starting Salary: $3,486.26 (per month) plus benefits; Salary Grade: C3-35 Full Salary Range: $3,486.26 - $4,566.81 (per month); Shift: Graveyard.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the classified position above.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression
- Information literacy
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
- Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
- Critical thinking
Under general supervision, performs a variety of light to heavy cleaning tasks performed independently in specific areas or as a member of a crew; performs tasks during the assigned shift to ensure cleanliness of assigned areas ; and does related work as required.
This is an entry-level position involving a variety of light to heavy cleaning tasks performed independently in specific areas or as a member of a crew. Under general supervision, the employee performs tasks during the assigned shift to ensure cleanliness of assigned areas, and do related work as required.
Upon evaluation and recommendation by the supervisor and final approval by the appropriate administrator, the employee may move to Custodian II after completing two years of service as Custodian I.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Uses safety equipment, supplies, and procedures to perform job duties as required; reports fire, sanitary and safety hazards and the need for repairs to appropriate administrator.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, alarms, graffiti, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action to resolve immediate safety issues and to maintain a functional educational environment; provides reports on activities as requested by appropriate administrator.
- Stores and shelves equipment and other supplies in conformance with various local, state, federal, and district rules and regulations; maintains equipment in a safe operating condition; maintains preventive maintenance procedures, records, and reports.
- Directs visitors and safeguards district property; adheres to all state and federal laws and regulations regarding safety and health.
- Attends and participates in District and/or College provided training or information sessions; incorporates new information or technology into existing job duties.
- Shall carry a communication device, if assigned one, and be available for general custodial duties.
- Uses a computer for entry and retrieval of information for work assignments.
- Communicates effectively orally, in writing, and electronically.
- Operates equipment such as District vehicles, electric carts, electric power lifts, cardboard baler, forklift, etc.; will use ladders.
- Transports various items (e.g. tools, equipment and supplies) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Sweeps, scrubs, and mops strips, waxes, and finishes floors in rooms, halls, stairways and public areas; vacuums and cleans rugs and carpets.
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms and showers; dusts, waxes, and polishes furniture; cleans offices and lobbies; cleans windows, walls, window shades and blinds; dusts walls, ceilings, air vents and light fixtures.
- Cleans chalkboards and white boards (dry erase boards).
- Empties waste baskets and recycle containers, sorts recyclable materials in designated bins.
- Operates scrubbers, buffers, waxers, vacuums and related tools and equipment.
- Restocks janitorial and cleaning supplies; stores cleaning equipment and supplies; assists in the inventory of cleaning and related supplies by monitoring quantity and reporting supply amounts to leads as required.
- Turns out lights and locks doors.
- Moves and rearranges chairs, tables, desks, and other furniture and equipment for special events and facility set-ups, according to specifications.
- Works in both an indoor and outdoor environment, and is subject to frequent lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling.
- Inspects campus facilities for the purpose of ensuring that the site is suitable for safe operations, maintained in an attractive and clean condition, and/or identifying necessary repairs due to vandalism, equipment breakage, weather, conditions, etc.
- Methods, materials, chemicals, disinfectants, safety practices and equipment used in custodial work.
- Safety factors in the operation of equipment and materials.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Operate and maintain a variety of custodial equipment.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Observe safety requirements and safe work practices and methods as required.
- Perform routine work involving moderate to heavy physical labor.
- Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Any combination equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade AND experience in custodial or janitorial work.
License or Certification
Possession of a valid class C California driver's license.
- Indoor, office environment and outdoor environment, with climate changes.
- Hazardous conditions.
- Exposure to pollen, dust particles, chemicals and fumes.
- Includes travel to conduct work.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Dexterity of hands to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Sight in order to be aware of hazards and dangers found in the nature of the work.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb, stoop, kneel, reach, push, pull, grasp, and perform repetitive motions.
- Climb ladders of varying heights.
- Ability to maneuver in crawl spaces, attics, and utility tunnels.
- Lift moderate to heavy objects up to 60 lbs.
To apply for this position, submit a paper copy of your application materials (listed below) to Employment Services (Foothill College, District Office) or e-mail them to email@example.com.
- A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter detailing your qualifications, skills, and abilities as they relate to the position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position: Full-Time, Permanent, 12-months per year.
Starting date: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. All interviewing costs incurred by applicant are the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/