Associate Director, Network and Telephony
Library and Information Technology at Bucknell is a unified organization that has evolved dramatically in the past decade, shedding over time many of the distinctions that frequently separate university library and information technology departments. Since 2008, the organization, comprised of eighty-five staff members, has been led by Param Bedi, Vice-President for Library and Information Technology. Under his direction, Library and Information Technology's leadership team has helped usher in a new spirit - a paradigm shift that has moved the organization from transactional to transformational. The division cherishes and carefully maintains its highly interactive work environment, and as such anticipates hiring a Director who is committed to hard work, collegiality, and laughter as a member of a team-oriented group. In general, we seek colleagues who are naturally curious, exhibit an openness to our existing affinity for inclusion and diversity of all sorts, who possess a willingness to change, and who embrace all that is made possible through collaboration.
L&IT is seeking a new Associate Director, Network and Telephony who is responsible for the operation, security, and monitoring of Bucknell University's highly redundant data network and telecommunications infrastructure. This includes ensuring the overall health and performance of the campus network and telephone system, providing leadership and direction to team members, and for providing hands-on technical leadership regarding networking, telecommunications, and security monitoring infrastructure. The Associate Director is also responsible for fostering an environment where collaboration, coaching, an enthusiasm for learning, and a desire to continuously improve operations, services, and infrastructure flourishes.
The Associate Director, Network and Telephony will contribute to and support Bucknell's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Take responsibility for the effective utilization and responsible allocation of the resources provided to L&IT (budgets, staff resources, and facilities) and work to maximize their use in service to the academic mission, administrative functions and the student experience.
- Delegate tasks; set policies; and manage priorities, deadlines, and workflows for the Network and Telephony team.
- Support the Director of TAO in their role as the lead strategist and subject matter expert in cloud, data center, and wireless technologies through architecture recommendations, networking, and telecommunications subject matter expertise.
- Provide team management and development including training professional staff, student employees, and contractors; leading annual performance planning process and goal setting with each team member; creating opportunities for and encouraging professional development; guiding and coaching team members; providing regular, promoting continuous improvement, proactive service, and relationships; other relevant supervisory tasks.
- Participate in design and planning for the campus data network and campus telephone system.
- Oversee installation, daily operation, and maintenance of network and telephone equipment and cabling.
- Ensure the overall functionality, efficiency, and reliability of network infrastructure and telephony including responding appropriately to service anomalies. This includes outside of normal work hours when necessary.
- Share oversight responsibility for operational uptime of mission critical systems and other software with colleagues across L&IT.
- Maintain, improve, and expand the quality and coverage of wireless networking and telephony across campus.
- Maintain consistent, accurate, and appropriately comprehensive documentation.
- Keep abreast of changes, developments, and trends relating to hardware, software, protocols, and tools.
- Stay informed about trends and issues in network security, including current and emerging technologies, and applying these to the campus network when warranted and in cooperation with the CISO as appropriate.
- Maintain and enforce appropriate controls to ensure proper access to network and telephone equipment.
- Keep the Director of TAO and the Chief Technology Officer informed of current or likely problems, issues, or trends, as appropriate.
- Assist with Bucknell construction and renovation projects by providing network and telephony design expertise and budgetary information.
- Maintain, respect, and protect the confidentiality of information and a secure operating environment.
- Ensure smooth operation of disaster recovery (DR) and business continuity capabilities. Help design DR tests and lead and participate in DR testing.
- Support appropriate communication processes with the campus community regarding L&IT infrastructure, change management, and emergencies.
- Negotiate and manage vendor and consultant relationships as appropriate.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Provide shared experiences and expertise that will contribute to Bucknell's commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, technology, business administration, or a related field
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in telephony, networking, or data center administration, including planning, design, construction, implementation, and support wired networks, wireless networks, or firewall infrastructure
- Experience supporting a diverse and heterogeneous client base both locally and remotely
- Thorough understanding of processes and procedures necessary to maintain a complex enterprise network
- Organization, planning, project management, leadership, cost estimation/management and supervision skills.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully organize and lead large complex technical projects
- Demonstrated ability to guide, lead, and develop technical employees
- Demonstrated ability to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership, and lead change efforts
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and make local decisions
- Demonstrated ability to design processes that enhance services while maximizing resources
- Demonstrated effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to effectively explain complex technologies to a non-technical audience
- Expertise with Cisco (certifications are a plus), Brocade, and/or Aruba software and hardware in a wired and wireless routing and switching environment
- Expertise or familiarity with Avaya Aura telephone system, Esna voicemail system
- Experience managing data networks with in a distributed environment
- Experience with HIPPA, FERPA, and PCI compliance
- Experience with designing and implementing network security technologies, next generation firewalls, application firewalls, and IDS/ IPS
- ITIL Service Management experience
- Demonstrated experience designing and integrating networks for cloud computing environments including IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and cloud design
- Linux and Windows Server environment experience
- Demonstrated experience with the physical aspects of installing and maintaining a network or telephony system including various sorts of racks, cable trays, cabinets, and other items associated with the installation of copper and fiber cable; cable punch-down, termination, and routing; pulling of fiber and cables through conduit and duct banks
- Significant knowledge of telephony protocols, terms, and infrastructure including unified messaging and VOIP
The ability to lift moderate loads, climb ladders, and work in confined spaces.
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns.
Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution, that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs.