About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, weve been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu/.
Job Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Registrar
Supervises: Work-Study Students
Summary of Position
Responsible for managing the overall functions of the Ellucian Banner Student System, the Degree Works Degree Audit System, CourseLeaf and the 25Live Classroom and Event Management System, the Associate Registrar provides technical and analytical support to the Registrars Office, with a particular emphasis on data integrity, best practices, process streamlining, training, and documentation as they relate to software utilized by the members of the Office. This position works closely with students, faculty and staff around degree and graduation audits, transcript evaluation, graduation, grades and course schedules.
Essential Job Function:
- Manage the daily operations of the Registrars Office related to technology applications such as Banner Student Module, Degree Works, CourseLeaf products, reporting, and other products as needed.
- Ensure the security and accuracy of the student database and that the fullest functionality of the Ellucian Banner Student System is being utilized.
- Work closely with the Registrar, Enrollment Business Analyst and ITS to ensure that web development initiatives are consistent with and supportive of the overall technology strategy for the office and maintains continuous quality improvement.
- Develops and implements a yearly technology plan that sets priorities for projects and ensures completion.
- Serves as the data steward for the office; vet requests from other units on campus for access to student data; handle open records, subpoenas, and other requests for student data; manage access to Banner and other systems where student data is stored, such as Degree Works.
- Manage production of the online Schedule of Classes, the academic calendar, and the Colleges on-line catalog; manage the editing and maintenance of Banner course information; ensure that curriculum changes and academic policy changes are implemented efficiently and accurately; planning and preparation related to registration and maintenance of student records.
- Manage training programs, oversee implementation of the strategic plan, and oversee all assessment activities.
- Oversee all end-of-term processing including grades and academic standing.
- Able to assist units with troubleshooting, upgrade testing, and daily work during critical periods of high demand and to explore possible enhancements to these systems.
- Develops and maintains an overall working knowledge of the Colleges student operations and procedures and their impact on student systems.
- Chair, Co-Chair, or represent the Registrars Office on appropriate campus-level committees and work groups; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies.
- Responds to complex student, faculty and staff questions and interprets policies related to course registration, grades, academic advising, academic regulations, major declarations, graduation requirements, class schedules and room assignments, course credit evaluation, transcript requests, cross-registration with other institutions, study abroad. Resolves issues and problems or refers to appropriate personnel to ensure the highest level of customer service.
- Selects, trains and supervises work-study students assisting with Academic Records work. Maintains written procedures.
- Oversees the Cross-Registration program by approving applications for incoming students, maintaining contracts as needed, corresponding with partner institutions, mailing transcripts, and transcribing grades.
- Manages extension unit transcription by corresponding with extension programs, coordinating approval for new programs and courses, transcribing student records and grades, and mailing transcripts. Maintain records for extension programs, provide transcripts, reconcile and deposit revenues
- Files regular student data reports to NSC, and responds to error reports. Assists with compiling data for external audits.
- Reports student enrollment data to the VA. Counsels VA students re: benefits and maintains files. Provides information requested by VA auditors.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise with Banner or other Student Information System (SIS) and relational databases.
- Ability to utilize SIS to implement policy and ensure data integrity.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain SIS data integrity in relation to third party software such as degree audit program.
- Skill implementing and utilizing on-line degree audit reporting system.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations, and laws regarding student records, including FERPA and related data access issues.
- Knowledge of accreditation and certification requirements and standards.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of academic standards governing student probation, suspension, and/or expulsion.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Ability to train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- An interest in promoting womens education and leadership is desirable.
- The ability to work effectively as a member of a team and with individuals and groups in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- The ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Evening and weekends as necessary.
Bachelors degree with 3 to 5 years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Masters degree preferred.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Mills offers an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403b retirement plan; 10 days of vacation accrued the first year of service, 15 days for years 2-9, and 22 days for 10 years and up; 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff also receives free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
Please submit your resume, cover letter, salary requirements, completed Mills application document and contact information for three professional references along with your online application at https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=82552.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.