About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today's economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to the needs of the region and support its economic development, provide educational opportunity for traditionally underserved students in urban environments, and create evidence-based national models.
About Project Management at HU:
The Project Management degree program at Harrisburg University offers traditional and agile instruction that responds to local and global needs using online and face-to-dace instructional methods. In support of this mission, the degree program provides innovative academic and experiential learning opportunities that require students to understand, apply, analyze, synthesize and evaluate projects, teams and leaders in enterprise environments.
To produce a high-quality product or service on time, on-budget and to the defined specifications, subject matter expertise is not enough. The complexities of modern product development and project management require a professional with specific technical, project management and leadership skills. This program leads to a Master of Science degree that prepares the student for career advancement in the field of project management and for positions such as program manager, project manager, lead project engineer, Agile Project Manager or ScrumMaster.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior industry experience being a plus.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
• Earned doctorate from an accredited university in engineering, information systems or a related field, with an emphasis or minor in project management or doctorate from an accredited university in project management.
• Minimum of 5 years of practical experience plus 2 years of teaching experience;
• Willingness, ability, and aptitude for graduate level teaching;
• Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary, applied projects
• Areas of specialization span the broad range of project management preferably in both traditional and agile methods
Ability to teach several of the following courses: Fundamentals of Project Management, Agile Project Management, Planning and Executing Projects, Contracting, Risk Management, Project Management Offices, Quality Management, Communications, and Leadership.
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
• Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
• Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
• Located in the city of Harrisburg in the county of Dauphin
• Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
• Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
• Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
• Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
• 200 full- and part-time employees
• Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
• The University's total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is 3600 as of January 1, 2017.
• Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
• 98% demonstrate financial need
• Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
• HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
• HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
• Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
• Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
• Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
• PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort will begin in Fall 2017.
• Trimester system
Governance of the University includes a 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by the Executive Committee. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
• First private non-profit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
• Educational framework is competency-based, applied, and experiential
• Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
• The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
• Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center, and The Food Science and Technology Center.
• Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
• American Council on Education (ACE)
• Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
• Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
• National Science Foundation (NSF)
• Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
• Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
• Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.
Apply for Faculty-Project Management
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly