Executive Director PLUS/DEO
Executive Director, PLUS Program and Disabilities Education Office
With the launch of its innovative PLUS program in 1983, Muskingum University became a pioneer in offering comprehensive academic support services to university students with learning differences and mild-to-moderate disabilities.
Muskingum has now begun a nationwide search to identify the next Executive Director of our PLUS Program and Disabilities Education Office (DEO). For this position, the University seeks a dynamic and accomplished leader with a clear vision of innovative and inclusive learning environments and of effectively providing services in the context of a forward-looking, 21st-century liberal arts setting.
Reporting directly to the Provost, Muskingum anticipates that the new Executive Director of the PLUS program and the DEO will:
- Bring extensive experience in designing and implementing high-quality support structures that provide meaningful and transformative experiences for students with learning challenges, and that prioritize both the earning of academic degrees and the creation of foundations for professional and personal success beyond college.
- Maintain a nationally-recognized presence, participate actively in professional organizations, and be prepared to represent and promote the University and these programs actively across the region and beyond.
- Engage in a robust professional development routine that enables him/her to stay current with best practices, and with literature and legislation in the field.
At Muskingum University, the Executive Director will join a campus community where PLUS and DEO are already well integrated into our academic, intellectual, social and experiential life.
The new Executive Director will provide supportive leadership to a full staff of PLUS/DEO administrators and learning consultants while working collaboratively with various offices across campus, including Admission.
The Executive Director of PLUS and DEO will hold academic rank within the University and have the opportunity to teach courses appropriate to his/her experience.
- Doctorate in Disability Studies, Special Education, Developmental Education, Psychology, or related area strongly preferred. Consideration will be given to candidates with a master’s degree in these areas and significant experience in the field.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a higher education setting working with students with disabilities, or in working with students with disabilities who are entering post-secondary education.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of current federal, state and local laws, and of policies, practices, and literature on the full range of disability services in higher education.
- Evidence of knowledge of best practices, current trends, and industry standards in providing disability services in higher education.
- Demonstrated record of administrative and budget management, as well as program development and event planning, plus day-to-day departmental operations and personnel management.
- Ability to travel regularly to represent the University and promote its PLUS and DEO programs at professional conferences, etc.
- Ability to coordinate and support recruitment into the PLUS program through multiple venues.
Appointment to this position is conditional upon the successful completion of a background check through the University’s background check agency.
Muskingum University, a comprehensive university with a strong liberal arts tradition, is located just seventy miles east of Columbus, Ohio, in the village of New Concord. Founded in 1837, the university’s total undergraduate, graduate, and adult-learner student population is approximately 3,000. The university actively seeks out and welcomes faculty and staff committed to excellence in teaching and student learning, plus professional growth and active participation in the life of the campus community.
An equal opportunity employer, Muskingum University strongly encourages applications from women and minorities, including members of populations traditionally underserved by higher education.
Applicants are to submit:
- Cover letter addressing the above-stated qualities and qualifications sought by the university.
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts, and
- Three names of references, plus contact information.
Applications are to be sent to:
Electronic applications in pdf format are appreciated and encouraged, and may be submitted to: email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Apply for Executive Director PLUS/DEO
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly