Financial Aid Counselor
Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Financial Aid Counselor to work in its Financial Aid department. This position will be responsible for handling the student and family-facing aspects of Financial Aid Office operations. The incumbent will coordinate day-to-day operations of the Financial Aid Office and will provide guidance for families navigating the financial aid application process. The Financial Aid Counselor will be part of six-person financial aid team delivering over $70 million in financial assistance to Macalester students annually.
- Daily interaction with financial aid applicants and their parents through in-person meetings, telephone, and e-mail.
- Hiring, training, and supervision of three to four student employees.
- Management of student-facing aspects of the Financial Aid Office including web site maintenance, financial aid award letter generation, reminder emails and letters, appointment scheduling.
- Shared responsibility for opening and closing the Financial Aid Office.
- Participation in data flow processes of the Financial Aid Office including data exchanges with the US Department of Education, College Board, State of Minnesota, loan agencies.
- Participation in Federal Student Aid eligibility verification processes, study abroad financial aid administration, scholarship and loan fund administration.
- Management of textbook advance program and other miscellaneous projects.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid.
- Minimum of 3 years in increasingly responsible positions involving office/administrative work, with an emphasis on customer service experience.
- Experience in an academic financial aid setting preferred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality service to students or customers from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Aptitude for management of multiple tasks and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Federal Student Aid delivery systems.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than April 18, 2017.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.