As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,200 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna's unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University's 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu.
Area Coordinators work with residential areas (First Year; Second Year; Independent and Theme Housing) with the primarily responsibility for furthering the mission of the Division and Department of Residence Life through the supervision of student staff members, implementation of the conduct processes for their residential population, and engaging residents in a community standards program that supports mitigating community challenges. Through active and engaging skill based programs Area Coordinators will create a climate that supports student success, personal development and a high sense of resident engagement. The position reports to the Assistant Director of Residence Life. The Area Coordinator is a 10-month live-in appointment with twelve-month on-campus housing accommodations and a meal plan during the academic Fall and Spring sessions. The Director of Residence Life will coordinate the time away from duties for the Area Coordinator positions during winter and summer break periods.
• Establish and maintain a healthy and actively engaged community for each residential area.
• Create strategies to communicate with residents living in the area through individual contacts, meetings and facilitated discussions. Serve as a mediator/facilitator when necessary.
• Mange all operational functions for assigned residential area ensuring safety, building maintenance, room change mediations, room and common area inventories, damage assessments, supervising the opening and closing of the facilities throughout the year.
• Develop familiarity with campus resources to ensure timely efficient referrals when needed.
• Contribute to the overall success of Residence Life program and the University by performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate student staff, to include staff and area meetings and regular one-on-one meetings.
• Utilize a team approach with student staff to manage the operations of the area.
• Develop, promote, and facilitate area staff training programs.
• Maintain office hours that provide access to students, and be available and visible at departmental and divisional programs and events.
• Coordinate programming efforts based on the departments programming model and the area assignment.
• Assist with the assignments and occupancy management of assigned area.
• Promote and actualize safety/security and risk management practices in the area.
• Act as a liaison to university departments, including but not limited other Student Life offices. Facilities, Aramark Dining Services, and academic departments.
• Provide and participate in professional staff on call coverage and duty schedule.
• Provide intervention and referral for students experiencing interpersonal, developmental, or academic difficulties.
• Respond as needed to crisis and emergency situations, communicate with all necessary levels of staff during emergency situations.
• Facilitate student conduct conferences and educate the community on the student code of conduct per department and university expectations.
• Participate in departmental, Campus Life, and Student Life initiatives as deemed appropriate.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Master's Degree in student personnel required. Residence life and conduct coordination experience required. Two plus years of experience is preferred. Must have an appreciation for a diverse residential campus environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
A demonstrated understanding and skill set in student conduct and mediation with an interest in restorative justice processes. Strong interpersonal written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated leadership, supervisory and conduct experience required. A demonstrated understanding of programming and experienced based training required. Strong organizational skills necessary for success in the role. Ability to build a strong team of undergraduate staff living -in a number of facilities under this professional's supervision. Demonstrated commitment to increasing racial and ethnic diversity through programs and services and a holistic understanding of student growth and identity development.
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to move easily about the campus and respond to crisis. Position requires the ability to speak to a wide range of audiences and individuals and to hear and process instruction. Position requires occasional manual dexterity and the ability to use fingers, hands, and arms to feel, handle, and reach. Position requires the ability to climb stairs, drive a variety of vehicles, and walk for extended periods of time on occasion. Position requires occasional stooping, crouching and bending. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Working conditions are indoor predominately but there are occasional work tasks outdoors.
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Number of Months: 10 months
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full Time
Work Schedule/Hours per Week: Administrative/Salaried
Posting date: 03/08/2017
Closing date: 05/08/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Posting Number: AH00360