Instructional Support Tech II
Instructional Support Tech II
Job ID: 101982
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1617
Job Grade: Range A
Salary and Hours Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Weekend and evening work as needed.
Salary Range: $3,748.00 - $6,082.00 Monthly Job Summary This person will work independently to support teaching, research and field functions of the Geology Department. The incumbent will report to the Department Chair, and will interact with faculty, students and the general public on a daily basis. The Department IST is often the face of the Department, and meets people to explain geologic principles and identify samples. The incumbent will supervise work study students, student volunteers and lab workers. The incumbent will also organize and lead tours of the Department for schools, scouts or other groups.
This person will be responsible for operating and maintaining scientific instruments that are used for lab activities and faculty research. These instruments range from simple to extremely complex, and a large part of the job involves trouble-shooting and problem-solving to facilitate routine operation and data collection. The incumbent will be familiar with basic geologic tests, equipment and instrumentation, including limitations of instruments and applicability of different media and sample materials. This increased depth of knowledge goes beyond simple use of technical equipment, and requires judgement and insight into instruments and methods. Some equipment requires special handling (radioactive sources, strong acids, carcinogenic compounds) and must be handled and stored safely.
For more information on the Geology Department, visit: http://www.csus.edu/geology/ Benefits/FLSA This position is covered by health benefits, and is non-exempt, (eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
For more information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/benefits/benefitsprograms.html Minimum Qualifications Knowledge and Abilities:
Knowledge of the principles of performing support services; knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques related to the discipline and the curriculum; knowledge of the materials and supplies in the curriculum and the curriculum and their uses.
Ability to plan, organize, and schedule activities; ability to operate technical equipment related to the discipline; ability to maintain records; ability to adjust and perform simple maintenance of technical and scientific equipment.
Equivalent to three years of experience providing instructional support services for a related unit or discipline, or in producing materials or supplies or repairing equipment in a discipline related to the area to which assigned.
Equivalent to two years of college with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a discipline related to the area may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Equivalent to four years of college with 16 semester units in courses involving extensive use of materials, supplies, or equipment and in a discipline related to the area to which assigned may be substituted for two years of the required experience. Required Qualifications Experience:
1. Experience using thin section and rock slicing equipment, including preparation of different rock types or materials.
2. Experience using computers and computer peripherals, including basic office and graphics software.
3. Experience using ground water monitoring devices, including installation, electrical troubleshooting, communication protocols and data management.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
4. Ability to use and modify computer hardware and software interfaces with scientific instruments.
5. Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on lab equipment and instrumentation.
6. Ability to trouble-shoot processes and pathways used for sample handling and instrument operation.
7. Ability to manage a scientific laboratory.
8. Understanding of laboratory techniques and methods used by geologists.
9. Knowledge of lab, vehicle and equipment safety regulations.
10. Ability to diagnose and make repairs of scientific equipment that is specific to geology.
11. Ability to occasionally maneuver, transport, lift and carry up to 75lb.
12. Valid driver's license and maintenance of good driving record.
Conditions of Employment
-Ability to pass background check Preferred Qualifications 1. Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University CMS/CFS systems.
2. Prior experience in a laboratory setting.
3. B.S. or B.A. in Geology, Earth Science or related field. License/Certification Must possess a valid State of California driver's license and maintenance of safe driving record required. Eligibility Verification Candidate selected will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. Background Check A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. Conflict of Interest The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, and on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter. Child Abuse and Neglect Report The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Equal Employment Opportunity California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/ Hiring Preference Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment. Application Deadline Date of close: 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, March 29, 2017. How To Apply Applications are only accepted through the Sacramento State jobs webpage located at http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/. Once there, applicants can also click on the instructions link to see how to apply. External applicants can apply by clicking on the Staff and Management Opportunities at Sacramento State link. Internal applicants can apply by logging on My Sac State.
Please note: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of application.
Candidate must attach the following materials to the on-line application:
1. Letter of interest (Cover letter).
2. Current curriculum vitae/resume.
3. Three (3) references who can speak to a broad range of candidate's professional qualifications (including name, title, and telephone number).
For questions regarding this search, contact:
For technical assistance with the application, please contact our IT help desk at 916.278.7337.
To apply, visit: http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/