Executive Director of Advancement
Exec Dir, Dev & Ext/Alum AffJob Description:
The Executive Director of Advancement is responsible for the overall administration of the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering programming for development and external affairs, alumni affairs, and communications. The incumbent is also responsible for the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and the stewardship of leadership and principal gift prospects, where gifts are assessed at $1,000,000 and above. In addition, the Executive Director will ensure conformity with the central fundraising efforts and promote a culture of philanthropy by broadening constituents' understanding of the value of giving. Furthermore, the incumbent will manage a high performing development team, providing leadership on matters relating to fundraising, accountability and staffing including establishing goals in alignment with unit objectives and the strategic plan.
The Executive Director of Advancement is responsible for the overall administration of the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering programming for development and external affairs, alumni affairs, and communications. In addition, the Executive Director will ensure conformity with the central fundraising efforts and promote a culture of philanthropy by broadening constituents' understanding of the value of giving.
- Build and maintain a strong team of development professionals. Evaluate staff, develop a strong sense of teamwork, and establish an environment of mentoring and support. Coach the team and bring cohesion to the department.
- Provide strategic direction to the leadership councils, and collaborate with other workgroups that support campaign and strategic planning efforts.
- Develop and implements a plan to create partnerships with corporate leadership to enhance revenue generating relationships, including gift funding and enrollment in executive and professional programs with corporations.
- Build collaborative, productive relationships with deans and units and provide leadership to enhance strategic fundraising.
- Develop support for the program by effectively involving stakeholders, such as volunteers, faculty, staff, and members of the advisory board, in efforts supporting the fundraising program.
- Plan and monitor the budget, using resources for best results in fundraising and planning activities involving volunteers, prospects, faculty and administration.
- Independently perform identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of leadership and principal gift prospects; focusing on individual prospects and corporate and foundation prospects where gift is assessed at $1,000,000 and above; manage relationships through face-to-face visits to bring major gift solicitations to closure. This position requires frequent travel by automobile; maintaining an acceptable driving record that meets insurance requirements and an active Florida driver's license must be maintained in order to meet this function.
- Build and manage stewardship relationships, utilizing a strategic moves management approach to include the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects.
- Build and nurture effective working relationships with alumni, parents, friends, volunteers, board members, and staff.
Communications/ Marketing and External Affairs
- Oversee the creation, production and evolution of Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering print and digital media – including periodicals, primary and certain subsidiary web sites, photography and videography, news releases, multimedia presentations, support materials for research proposals, and promotional campaign collateral. Interprets, recommends and implements policies and procedures for effective communication in print and digital. Ensure all print and digital media reflects accurate information prior to distribution.
- Oversee the writing of articles for use in print and online media to enhance visibility of the college's research, alumni relations, industry relations and rankings with peer institutions.
Constituent Relations/ Alumni Affairs
- Responsible for the oversight and management of alumni programing for the college by planning and implementing programs and projects that strategically engage and provide tangible benefits to alumni and friends of the college.
- Collaborate with the Alumni Association to create and maintain pathways for robust alumni participation that advance the goals of the college that support the campaign. Help facilitate strategy for securing commitments from alumni.
- Maintain contact with volunteers on an individual and group basis; work to deliberately to expand and meaningfully engage a broadened base of volunteers, and manage a council of volunteers.
- Represent the college at donor and community events as assigned.
Commensurate with qualifications and experienceMinimum Requirements:
Master's degree in appropriate area of specialization and eight years of appropriate experience; or a bachelor's degree in appropriate areas of specialization and ten years of experience. Five + years of fundraising experience with documented success in cultivating and soliciting major gifts of $100,000 and above from individual and corporate prospects.Preferred Qualifications:
- Five + years of fundraising experience with documented success in cultivating and soliciting major gifts of $100,000 and above from individual and corporate prospects.
- 3+ years' experience leading a high performing team of 3+, including prior management of development officers. Track record of recruiting, developing, and retaining a high caliber staff, building a team, and creatively organizing and managing them to maximize the support of external constituencies.
- Excellent organizational and operational skills; confidence and independence in exercising leadership skills and in representing the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering to external constituents.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement an annual strategic development plan for a department.
- Demonstrated ability to support the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering's mission, particularly in managing the responsibilities of the department, including strategic and operational planning at the department level as well as establishing metrics and processes to monitor and evaluate operational performance outcomes and implement performance improvement initiatives when required.
- A strong understanding of budgeting practices and financial accountability and the ability to manage resources with prudence and efficiency.
- Experience engaging, training, motivation, and staffing volunteers in the cultivation, solicitation, and closing of significant gifts; appreciation for the role of volunteers in building an effective development network.
- Working knowledge in these areas: Windows, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, internet browsers, preferably Internet Explorer, E-mail. Working knowledge of a donor database, contact management and tracking system.
- The ability and willingness to travel. A valid driver license and good driving record are essential.*
*Business expenses are reimbursed through a standard accounting system. The ability to pay for expenses using your own personal credit card or funds and have them reimbursed is essential.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload cover letter, résumé, and minimum of three references with application.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.Health Assessment Required: No