ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF INTERNAL AUDIT
Founded by the late Delegate Alfred W. Harris in 1882, Virginia State University (VSU) serves as a public, comprehensive, historically Black, Land Grant institution within the Commonwealth of Virginia. As its mission states, Virginia State University is committed to the preparation of a diverse population of men and women through the advancement of academic programs and services that integrate instruction, research, extension, and outreach. The University endeavors to meet the educational needs of students, graduating lifelong learners who are well equipped to serve their communities as informed citizens, globally competitive leaders, and highly effective, ethical professionals.
Virginia State provides academic coursework within seven colleges that include the College of Agriculture, the Reginald F. Lewis College of Business, the College of Engineering and Technology, the College of Natural and Health Sciences, the College of Education, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the College of Graduate Studies. Virginia State offers 55 baccalaureate and master's degree programs, two doctoral degree programs and three certificates, and is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Many individual programs are accredited by the relevant accreditation association, such as the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The Internal Audit Department is committed to embracing the University’s role as “Virginia’s Opportunity University” noting consistent unqualified audit opinions and achieving conformance to the Institute of Internal Auditing Standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Associate Director of Internal Audit reports under the direction of the Chief Audit Executive for Internal Audit and will perform under considerable independence and in a team approach in the development and completion of the annual audit plan which includes annual risk assessments in information technology, fraud, and university functions and programs. The Associate Director provides management direction in planning risk-based, compliance and information technology audits as well as supervising auditors on audits and special projects. The Associate Director is also responsible for developing and implementing a quality assurance review of the audit work being performed by the internal audit staff to ensure compliance with departmental and professional standards. The incumbent will be a proactive and strategic partner to colleagues throughout the University which will encompass all departments, administrative units, programs, activities, and provide consulting and advisory services to various committees and initiatives toward strategic planning and operational enhancements and efficiencies. This is a hands-on position which interfaces with the most senior levels of management, as well as planning, conducting, and/or directing audit engagements. The incumbent must be detail, action, solution and results oriented and dedicated to continuous improvement.
· Comprehensive knowledge and experience in team building, training, supervisory principles and practices, mentoring, and leadership skills in a professional auditing environment.
· Thorough understanding of risks and controls and the demonstrated ability to direct and/or conduct financial; operational; compliance; fraud, waste, and abuse; and information systems audits. Maintains knowledge of new technology, changing control risks and related control techniques.
· Comprehensive knowledge of auditing principles, theories, and application, to include Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), International Professional Practice Framework (IPPF) by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS/GAS), Control Objectives for Information and related Technology (COBIT), and accounting pronouncements and industry guidance in accordance with the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and IT security frameworks and protocols.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and apply audit principles and concepts in the conduct of a variety of audits, concurrent audit tests, and conventional audits, and evaluate data, business processes, assess alternatives from financial and non-financial data to formulate logical and sound decisions, conclusions, and/or recommendations, accountability, performance, and efficiencies.
· Must have experience interpreting and applying pertinent laws and regulations to specific situations.
· Advanced knowledge of tools and techniques needed to review and assess controls in computerized information systems and their environments, using accounting systems, enterprise resource planning applications, and other information systems.
· Demonstrated ability to establish collaborative partnerships with varied leaders at multiple levels of the University that improve strategic initiatives.
· Excellent writing and communication skills, including proven ability to prepare and present clear and concise reports to executive and senior management and Board of Visitors, and articulate complex and/or technical issues to various levels of university stakeholders.
· Advanced technical skills, including experience in development and use of Computer Assisted Audit Techniques (CAATs) and current office software such as MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access.
· Master's degree in accounting, finance, or related field, or Bachelor's degree and significant related experience.
· Relevant experience in internal auditing or public accounting, including 2-3 years of increasingly responsible leadership experience.
· CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE, and/or other relevant professional certification.
· Significant audit experience in a higher education, a plus.
· Previous experience with business processes of large, decentralized organizations.
· Experience using ERP systems such as Banner® by Ellucian and PeopleSoft.
· A level of knowledge, understanding, and application of Client-Server technology, Active Directory, Cloud computing and other Microsoft technologies.
Interested persons must attach a cover letter, a current resume/vita, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses (if available) of three professional references must be submitted to be considered for the position.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
Virginia State University accepts applications through the online Recruitment Management System (RMS) at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. E-mailed, mailed and faxed applications/applications packets will not be accepted. Resumes do not substitute for a completed online state application. Official transcripts and three (3) letters of references will be required upon employment. The selected candidate must pass a criminal background check, including fingerprinting, credit check and must complete a Statement of Economic Interest as a condition of employment, if applicable. Candidates for interview will have an on-site audit writing exercise.
Please visit our web site at www.vsu.edu for full position descriptions.
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND VETERANS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.