Career Services Specialist
Assists the Director of the Career Center in the delivery of services of a comprehensive career services program for students and alumni. The Specialist will provide professional development career counseling to students and alumni via direct individual counseling and group programs. Additional responsibilities include assistance in planning and organizing programs on varying career-related topics for specific student populations: freshmen, undeclared students, veterans and other targeted populations.
- Provide counseling to students and alumni in career planning skills and job search strategies
- Administer and interpret assessment instruments and computerized career guidance systems as needed
- Assist students with resume and cover letter preparation and with interviewing techniques
- Assist with the arrangement/promotion of career fairs and similar events or activities
- Aid in creation and presentation of various career topics to classrooms, clubs, departments and organizations
- Co-develop and update electronic and paper (handouts/brochures) resources
- Assist with maintaining Career Center presence at various recruiting events
- Work collaboratively with other campus departments to create specific career programming for targeted students
- Manage the entire work cycle of student assistants - Hire, Terminate, Supervise, Train & Schedule
- Perform similar or related duties as assigned or required
- Research career fields and industries as well as job market information and incorporate into career counseling appointments
- Understanding of career development theory required
- Demonstrated ability to use assessment instruments and computerized guidance systems
- Must be able to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff employers, and alumni and work collaboratively with other departments
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to work without close supervision
- Possess excellent customer service, organizational and motivational skills
- Demonstrate outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and consistently meet established goals and deadlines
- Maintain professional appearance and manner and uphold the highest levels of professionalism and ethical conduct
- Exhibit comfort working with technology based services and social media platforms
- Possess high level of counseling and interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations
- Ability to consistently take initiative and make sound decisions
- Establish strong research skills as they relate to job market knowledge
- Ability to adhere to all institutional policies and procedures and operates within state and federal statutes and regulations and within standards of professional career services organizations at all times
- Understand need for some flexible working hours due to career events
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from
(not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 1 year experience of career development or career services.
- Master's degree in career counseling, counseling, higher education or related degree
- Experience with FOCUS 2 and StrengthsQuest assessments
- Experience developing effective resumes
- Experience with career counseling one or more targeted populations: freshmen, veterans, students with disabilities, LGBTQ students, alumni
- Experience in successful program development for targeted populations listed above
- Knowledge of career development and counseling to give career advice to students
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted prior to April 3, 2017 will receive full consideration. • Preference will be given to applicants with earned Master's degree or by time of appointment • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Job Category: Student Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40379 - VCSS Retention
Posting Date: Mar 20, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Stacy Carosa
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00002144