Project Designer/Jr. Project Manager/Asst. Space Planner
Project Designer/Jr. Project Manager/Asst. Space Planner
Posting Number: 20171294S
Position Type: Staff
Recruitment Type: Internal/External Applicants
Work Schedule: FT/12 Month
Department: 806-Project Management
This is a full-time position reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Design and Construction. Project Design will entail leading the design effort associated with small to mid-size renovation projects on campus. Project management work includes implementing / managing the construction of small to mid-size renovation projects. The Assistant Space Planner will assist the University Space Planner with 1) establishment of a space management program, 2) developing and managing the space inventory and utilization data, 3) develop and maintain space standards and policies, and 4) act as University Space Planner during University Space Planner absences.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Design / Project Management: Meet with departments to determine space needs. Lead the design effort associated with small to mid-size renovation projects on campus, including space planning, interior design, furniture selection, the selection of products and materials, wayfinding, and signage. Assist other project managers with interior design / space layouts for their projects. The design effort will also include the development of several phases of design documentation, including the development and issuance of bid documents to selected bidders.
- Act as Junior Project Manager for the construction of individual small to mid-size renovation projects including the implementation of the construction bidding phase, and the supervision of the construction contractor throughout the construction phase.
- Space Inventory and Utilization Metrics: Responsible for assisting the University Space Planner in developing and managing a comprehensive space inventory with utilization metrics. Verify accuracy of data, update as necessary after renovation and construction projects. Coordinate/document space changes with record drawings and databases.
- Space Management Program: Under the guidance and direction of the University Space Planner, assist with the establishment and management of a space management program at Villanova. Support the University Space Planner in the development and maintenance of space management policies and standards. For new space needs - analyze requirements, consult with University Space Planner and investigate options.
- Manage Consultants: Develop Requests for Proposals, interview and select consultants for space planning projects. Work includes creating the scope of work, developing estimates and managing the consultant’s efforts.
- Products Data: Works with vendors to help maintain an up-to-date finish library, as well as an updated list of sustainable products for use in all small to mid-size renovation projects.
- Additional Duties: Perform additional duties at the request of the Assistant Vice President for Design and Construction and University Space Planner and assist with special projects as assigned. Act as University Space Planner during University Space Planner absences.
- Four-year degree in interior design, planning, architecture, facility management or related field is required.
- Minimum of 5 years experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of space coding systems.
- Must be CAD proficient.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret architectural drawings.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to move about multiple buildings, both indoors and outside.
- Must be able to travel and perform on-site visits at peer institutions and consultant locations.
- In-dept knowledge of Excel spreadsheets, database programs and other Microsoft Office programs.
- Superb communication skills required.
- Criminal background and driving record check of candidates.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Periodic work outside with moderate exposure to weather, as well as noise, dust and other conditions typical of construction projects.
- Walking, bending, reaching, climbing ladders and ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Special Message to Applicants
Applications must include contact information for 3 references.
Posting Date: 03/17/2017
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information: Commensurate with experience
Salary Band: I
Job Classification: Exempt
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/10872
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.