Reference/First-Year Outreach Librarian
Reference/First-Year Outreach Librarian
Williams Libraries seeks a highly-motivated, creative, tech-savvy, user-centered individual to work in Research Services as the Reference/First-Year Outreach Librarian. This newly-defined position was created to meet the library's priority of expanding and strengthening outreach to first-year students. This is a full-time, year-round, regular appointment, reporting to the Head of Research Services and Library Outreach.
The Research Services department is dedicated to innovation, creativity, and pro-active, user-driven services. We value collegiality, collaboration, and working one-on-one with students and faculty. We believe in meeting students where they are in their information-seeking journey and helping them grow and develop into information-literate citizens.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter who:
- Shares our passion for reference and instruction
- Enjoys meeting new people, making connections, and promoting the value of the library
- Embraces our commitment to active learning pedagogy
- Thrives in a small, relationship-driven academic environment
- Expand and enhance library outreach to first-year students, which includes:
- Organizing orientation programs
- Developing and implementing additional programming
- Creating promotional materials (print, film, and online)
- Build and maintain relationships with campus partners in the Davis Center and the Dean's Office to engage with first-generation students and students from underrepresented groups
- Serve as collection and instruction librarian for Africana Studies, Environmental Studies, Justice & Law, and Political Science
- Provide general reference and instruction services for the social sciences and humanities
- Manage the social media presence of Research Services
- MLS (or equivalent) from an ALA-accredited institution. Early career librarians are encouraged to apply.
- General subject knowledge in at least one of the subject areas of responsibility
- Public service experience working in a library
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented organization
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, time management, and presentation skills
- Experience creating promotional materials
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, respect, and inclusion
- Some evening and weekend responsibilities are required
- Experience providing reference services
- Teaching experience and familiarity with information literacy concepts and trends
- Marketing, graphic design, or digital media production experience
- Experience with social media outreach
- Academic library experience
- Demonstrated experience in promoting diversity and engaging with underrepresented groups
For optimal consideration, submit application by April 10, 2017. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Job Group 2-E.
In addition to discussing your qualifications for the position in your cover letter, please address how your education and/or experience will support our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Please provide the names of three references with your resume.
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
To apply for this position, please visit http://staff-careers.williams.edu. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-4247 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Williams College is a coeducational liberal arts institution located in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts. The college has built its reputation on outstanding teaching and scholarship and on the academic excellence of its approximately 2,000 students. Please visit the Williams College website (http://www.williams.edu).
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.