Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics and/or Statistics
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University is a new state University that opened for classes in 2014-15, and strives to have a major higher education presence within Florida and beyond. The University was created by the Florida Legislature as a STEM-focused four-year public university, with a range of innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive high-tech workforce, Florida Polytechnic University takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to academics and partners with industry leaders to provide relevant learning opportunities. With an innovative approach to higher education, the University emphasizes core subjects in small class sizes, while giving students opportunities for hands-on education through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics and/or Statistics. Successful candidates for this position are expected to engage in outstanding original research and scholarly activities in Applied Mathematics and/or Statistics, seek external funding, teach graduate and undergraduate courses, mentor and advise students, supervise student research in areas related to Applied Mathematics, and perform service for the University.
- Candidates must have earned a Ph.D. in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or closely related fields, a strong background in Applied Mathematics and/or Statistics, and the ability to teach all advanced level and lower division classes in mathematics, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- For the Assistant Professor rank, there must be strong evidence of professional accomplishment in Applied Mathematics and/or Statistics, together with either proven success in securing external funding or exceptional promise in doing so.
Demonstrated excellence in research in Applied Mathematics, and closely related fields; track record of funded or highly fundable grant proposals; exemplary track record in teaching; evidence of inclusion of students in research; evidence of fruitful collaboration with researchers and practitioners in Applied Mathematics, and related fields; ability to cultivate and maintain collegial working relationships; experience in multicultural and diverse settings.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website: https://floridapolytechnic.org/culture/
- Letter of Application
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript
You will be required to upload your transcript during the job application process. When you come to the screen asking you to upload your resume/cover letter, please also upload your transcripts.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.