Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Information Technology
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University is a new state University that opened for classes in 2014-15, and strives to have a major higher education presence within Florida and beyond. The University was created by the Florida Legislature as a STEM-focused four-year public university, with a range of innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive high-tech workforce, Florida Polytechnic University takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to academics and partners with industry leaders to provide relevant learning opportunities. With an innovative approach to higher education, the University emphasizes core subjects in small class sizes, while giving students opportunities for hands-on education through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Computer Science and Information Technology Program at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for faculty positions at the Assistant level beginning August 2017. The department is seeking individuals with a rigorous foundation in Compilers and Programming Languages. Applicants with interests in any field of Computer Science are encouraged to apply. Applicants with a background and/or interest in Cyber Gaming and Augmented Reality, Compilers and Programming Languages, Cybersecurity and Computing Hardware Security, Software Engineering, and Simulation are preferred.
Candidates are required to have an earned Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field by the time of appointment (August 2017).
The Computer Science and Information Technology Program currently has thirteen faculty members and offers a B.Sc. degree in Computer Science with approximately 550 students and two concentrations (Cyber gaming and Cybersecurity & Information Assurance ). The College of Innovation Technology offers an M.Sc. degree in Innovation and Technology. More information about the CSIT Program at Florida Polytechnic University can be found here:
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized accrediting organization. (earned by August 2017)
- Candidates must be willing to teach courses in Computer Science at all levels.
- Demonstrated record or the potential for excellence in research appropriate to the rank to be held and/or the experience of the candidate.
- Demonstrated record or the potential for excellence in teaching appropriate to the rank to be held and/or the experience of the candidate.
- Experience in obtaining external funding, grant preparation, and a record of scholarship are desirable. Industrial Experience.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website: https://floridapolytechnic.org/culture/
- Letter of Application
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript
You will be required to upload your transcript during the job application process. When you come to the screen asking you to upload your resume/cover letter, please also upload your transcripts.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.