Reading/Writing Center: Assistant Director (Professional Faculty position)
Reading/Writing Center: Assistant Director - Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, invites applications for the position of Assistant Director beginning August 2017. This is a Professional Faculty position with faculty rank and voting rights. Augustana College is a selective liberal arts college of 2,500 students, most of whom live on a wooded 115-acre campus. Rock Island, Illinois is part of the Illinois-Iowa Quad Cities along the Mississippi River, a diverse metropolitan area with 400,000 residents approximately three hours west of Chicago.
The Reading/Writing Center is part of the Learning Commons, a comprehensive center for student academic support. Staffed by a director, an ESL Specialist, and 24 peer tutors, the Reading/Writing Center assists all Augustana students with reading and writing for any class and beyond.
The Assistant Director will help manage daily operations of the Reading/Writing Center, provide reading/writing consultations to students, teach first-year writing, and perform other advising-related duties as needed. This 10-month professional faculty position is annually renewable and emphasizes a commitment to undergraduate teaching, advising, and mentoring roles of a faculty member in a liberal arts setting.
- Provide individualized tutoring sessions in college-level academic reading and writing to students. Determine needs and provide assistance for a diverse student body.
- Assist with hiring, training, supervising, evaluating, and mentoring RWC student tutors. Provide feedback both positive and constructive to tutors to assist in their development.
- Assist with planning for the future development of the RWC, designing and implementing programs to meet the changing needs of students, and assessing the success of the current mix of service offerings.
- Assist in creating, revising, and implementing RWC policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with other Learning Commons staff; with faculty and administrators; and with other offices such as Multicultural and International Student Life, CORE (Careers, Opportunities, Research, Exploration), Athletics, and Residential Life to best assist students.
- Teach two first-year writing courses per year.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required education: Master’s Degree in English/Writing, Reading, Composition & Rhetoric, Education, or a related field.
The successful candidate will demonstrate
- Three or more years college teaching experience;
- Writing center experience, especially in an administrative capacity;
- Experience in writing and/or reading theory, writing across the curriculum, and/or working with students with learning disabilities;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and
- The ability to work effectively and collaboratively with students, faculty, and administrators.
Augustana College is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from women and persons of diverse ethnic backgrounds. We do not discriminate based on age, race, color, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability or creed.Details about Augustana College, our expectation of the faculty, the selection process and the Quad Cities all are available at the Faculty Search website: http://www.augustanafaculty.org.
To apply, please email application materials to email@example.com using subject line: Search #116-17 RWC/Assistant Director, and directed to Pareena Lawrence, Dean of the College.
Alternatively, application materials can be mailed to: Search #116-17 RWC/Assistant Director, C/O Pareena Lawrence, Dean of the College, Augustana College, 639-38th Street, Rock Island, Illinois 61201.
Application materials include: a letter of application, curriculum vita, copy of graduate transcripts, statement of teaching and tutoring philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness, writing sample, and three letters of recommendation (including contact information). Questions may be directed to Lucas Street, Director of the RWC at LucasStreet@augustana.edu . Review of applications will begin April 18, 2017.