Director of Information Systems
Kansas State Polytechnic seeks an innovative Director of Information Systems to provide strategic vision, leadership, and planning for campus technology development. Other responsibilities include managing the Information Systems department's daily operations, budgetary oversight, interdepartmental collaborations and technology planning and implementation. This role will support the enhancement of campus computing, network, and telecommunications technologies, which are vital to the mission of the campus and the university.
Information about the Campus:
Kansas State Polytechnic's nationally recognized faculty and staff are devoted to supporting program excellence and student success. The Polytechnic Campus is continually improving its facilities to provide students access to modern and relevant spaces, equipment and technology.
The mission of Kansas State Polytechnic is to provide learners with the opportunity to pursue innovative education, applied research, practical field experiences, and professional lives guided by social awareness and the ability to provide ethically sound solutions in the global environment.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.
- Consult with faculty and staff to assess their future needs and develop strategies for integrating innovative, progressive, cost-effective technology solutions that support the functions of academic and administrative areas.
- Work with students and residents to evaluate campus IT resources and existing systems to identify infrastructure improvements that will provide convenient and reliable access to information services as needs change.
- Assist with developing tools and support for distance learning, video conferencing, e-learning, and presentation technology for classrooms and conference rooms.
- Collaborate with other departments and resources to successfully implement technology enhancements, assist with integration and monitor progress.
- Provide expert support and deliver customized solutions for departments and units with special technical requirements.
- Assemble stakeholders to gain an understanding of the challenges and needs, gather facts, and provide guidance in terms of technical solutions, costs, compliance with university policy, etc. Provide additional research, cost estimates, and possible alternative solutions.
- Supervise and prioritize the work activities for administrative assistant, tech support staff, and student workers.
- Monitor costs, prioritize purchases and plan cost estimates for software, hardware, tools, equipment, and services.
- Meet with staff to set goals, encourage and plan training opportunities, provide feedback and coaching.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in computer systems or related field.
- 5+ years working in industry.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows desktop and server products including: Active Directory, backup systems, virtualized computing environments, and virtual networks.
- Ability to understand network administration functions, including TCP/IP networking, topology layout, vlans, subnetting, and network security measures.
- Working knowledge of wireless network technologies, standards and best practices.
- Ability to manage and motivate people.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Excellent written and oral communications.
- Master's degree in computer systems or related field.
- Demonstrated success developing strategic campus ITS plan.
- 10+ years working in industry.
- Experience working on Office 365/Microsoft platform.
- Experience with mobile applications and universal design and accessibility standards.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.