HR Specialist - Facilities & Services (A1700159)
Human Resource Specialist
Facilities & Services
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Facilities & Services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides all physical plant, operational, and essential services for sustaining an environment that fosters the research, teaching, and public engagement activities of the university. The organization employs approximately 1,200 dedicated men and women serving in both Civil Service and Academic Professional positions.
Facilities & Services is seeking to hire a HR Specialist who will be responsible for facilitating all human resource functions for assigned Facilities & Services (F&S) units which include, but is not limited to, recruiting, employment processing, new hire onboarding, employee relations, assisting with leaves of absence, job description development and maintenance, and serving as a resource regarding general human resource topics.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary contact for coordinating academic professional and civil service searches for assigned units, including: facilitating the approval process to initiate searches; pre-screening applicants; serving on search committees as the HR representative and diversity advocate; coordinating interviews; conducting reference checks; determining salary requirements on behalf of the assigned unit; and notifying applicants of search status.
- Serve as an internal resource to assigned units by researching and interpreting University policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, and other documents related to employment issues to satisfactorily resolve issues and/or address concerns related to human resource management.
- Advise managers and supervisors on issues related to developing job descriptions and the proper classification of employees.
- Serve as the liaison between F&S units, Staff Human Resources, and Academic Human Resources regarding search process issues.
- Assist with professional development workshops and training sessions. Assist with coordinating and/or facilitating training programs which include New Employee Orientation, supervisors' training, and leadership training programs for all AP and CS employees to ensure all employees are informed aware of the department's Mission, Vision, and Values, the overall University and departmental operations and procedures, and general department expectations.
- Represent F&S on University wide committees regarding HR topics as needed and assigned. Participate in departmental meetings, focus groups, and training sessions as an ER/HR representative.
- Assist managers and supervisor regarding leaves of absence (FMLA, Military Leave, Special Leave, etc.) reporting including form collection and tracking, document preparation, correspondence, employee notification, closing out leaves and auditing.
- Assist with ANCRA, Ethics Training, and RNUA compliance requirements and reporting for F&S.
- Responsible for HR reporting in ER/HR assigned F&S units.
- Assist managers with employee relations issues including performance improvement plans and the corrective discipline process. Serves as the liaison between F&S units, Staff Human Resources, and Academic Human Resources regarding performance and/or behavioral issues.
- Perform special projects and other assignments through completion as assigned.
- Participate in establishing departmental goals and objectives, which includes identifying new strategies and ideas to improve overall efficiency and effectiveness of departmental operations and developing new and/or revised procedures to achieve goals and objectives.
- Promote and support activities that improve employee morale and demonstrate their value to the organization such as employee recognition programs and department events designed for that purpose.
- Perform other assigned duties appropriate for a Human Resources Specialist.
- Bachelor's degree in business, human resources, labor relations, or a related field.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in recruiting, employee relations, training and development, or performance management.
- Proven ability to use independent judgment to make sound decisions.
- Ability to multi-task and identify priorities without compromising accuracy, responsiveness, and customer service.
- Proven analytic and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Public speaking and training facilitation skills along with written communications, administrative and organizational talents.
- Demonstrated teamwork approach and use of tact and diplomacy when dealing with stressful and difficult situations.
- Ability to act as an advocate for employees and consult with management regarding effective employee relations strategies.
- Ability to work independently and with confidential/sensitive information in a highly professional manner.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines with accuracy.
- Creative problem-solving experience underscored by excellent judgment.
- Demonstrated proficiency working in a complex environment.
- Program management experience.
- Strong customer-service skills.
- Demonstrated experience applying policies, procedures, and business processes in various human resource situations.
- Master's degree in business, human resources, labor relations, or a related field.
- HRCI Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification; or SHRM-Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) certification.
- Two (2) years of experience in recruiting, employee relations, training and development, or performance management.
- Strong proficiency using HR systems, preferably: HR Front End; HireTouch; Banner; Positive Time Reporting (PTR); Tracker I9; and Banner Administrative applications.
- Strong computer software skills in Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
This is a regular full-time 12-month academic professional position. The starting date is as soon as possible after the close date. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To ensure full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, a copy of your college transcripts, and the names/contact information for three professional references by March 31, 2017. Applicants may be interviewed before March 31, 2017; however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Nicole McCurry at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: FandS HR and Employee Relations
College Name or Administrative Unit: Facilities & Services
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 03/17/2017
Close Date: 03/31/2017