Posting Date May 20, 2016
Position Title Network Engineer
Vacancy # V-1169
Department Networking and Telecommunications
Division Information Technology
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Under the direction of the Director of Networking and Telecommunications for Information Technology the Network Engineer installs, configures, maintains, and upgrades all campus wired and wireless network infrastructure equipment and related security services. Performs analytical, technical, and administrative work in planning, designing, and implementing network based services and tools. Implements programs and functions that are related to enterprise security and network operations. Pro-actively audits and analyzes network performance and stability and makes recommendations for hardware and software upgrades. Works with Information Security group to assist in the development and enforcement of network-related security policies, access control lists, and threat mitigation to ensure the security, availability, and performance of network services. Performs related duties as assigned, necessary, or requested by management.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assists the Director of Networking and Telecommunications in the installation, configuration, and management of all wired and wireless network services, Internet connectivity, Network Access Control, and other related services.
• Works collaboratively with IT Information Security group and Systems/Infrastructure group to help identify network security threats and evaluate how to proactively take steps to minimize their impact on the campus network, either through changes to firewall rule sets, packet shaping, packet analysis, client-side mitigation or any other means.
• Manages device registration system(s) for granting access to campus network resources and monitoring systems to identify potential malicious network activity, both internal and external.
• Serve as the subject matter experts on network/security threat detection tools and services.
• Designs metrics and methods for measuring wireless performance and analyze results and propose solutions for correcting problems or improving the wireless network performance.
• Consults with the Director of Systems and Infrastructure Operations (SIO) and Director of Information Security and Identity Management (ISIM) to perform and/or assist the technical support staff in the installation and set up of computing systems and network devices according to baseline security measures and appropriate operation and functionality practices.
• Develops programs and command procedures to enhance the functionality and manageability of supported systems.
• Maintains accurate system change logs to track all device patch levels and network security policy changes.
• Evaluates program goals, operations and performance as required; develops and implements alternative procedures to improve performance and meet program objectives.
• Identifies and adheres to open systems standards where applicable.
• Perform Pre- and post-installation wireless site surveys to identify and correct wireless performance inefficiencies.
• Maintains systems and network logs to assist in identifying potential security threats or attacks/probes on IT systems and serve as the subject matter expert for the threat and vulnerability platform and metrics reporting.
• Consults with the Director of Networking and Telecommunications on the most unusual problems or policy matters.
• Maintains integrity and appropriate confidentiality in institutional and program operations.
• Contributes to the preparation of studies and reports containing findings and recommendations for the implementation of network performance monitoring, security and application software to meet the needs of the various users of MSUnet.
• Establishes and maintains effective communication and cooperative working relationships with the institution's administrators, faculty and staff, government, and private agencies in order to accomplish the objectives of the Information Technology.
• Develops appropriate communication with user community to insure transfer of operational, procedural, and policy information.
• Evaluates and recommends hardware and/or software to meet current and future needs on all supported campus platforms.
• Represents the university at conferences, seminars or meetings and serves on ad hoc and standing committees as required.
• Performs other functions consistent with the job title as necessary and as directed by the Director of Networking and Telecommunications and/or the Associate Vice President of Enterprise Technology Services
Qualifications & Requirements
Graduation from an accredited university/college with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or a minimum of four years relevant professional experience.
Four years of professional experience in network administration and support, preferably in an institution of higher education or other field that is directly related to the functions of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Extensive knowledge of network protocols and services including: Ethernet, 802.1Q, 802.1D, 802.1X, TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, BGP, OSPF, and LISP
• Extensive knowledge of wireless protocols and services including: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, RADIUS, and WPA2
• Extensive knowledge of data communications hardware and software including: Cisco Nexus, IOS 15.x, legacy 65xx and 35xx routers and switches, fiber and UTP cabling, ASA firewalls and IDS/IPS services.
• Working knowledge and experience with wireless tools and technologies from Fluke (AirCheck Wi-Fi Tester, AirMagnet Survey, AirMagnet Spectrum), Ekahau (WLAN Planning and Site Survey Suite), Metageek (WiFi Spectrum Analyzer), Meru and Cisco.
• Extensive knowledge of data, Internet and local area network security practices and procedures.
• Familiarity with common operating systems including: Red Hat Linux, Windows, and MacOS as well as knowledge of common vulnerabilities in those operating systems and how to minimize them through proper security configuration and/or additional software.
• Experience with systems and network auditing and scanning tools such as nmap, tripwire, syslog, and nessus.
• Knowledge of middleware and scripting languages including: Python, Ruby, Bourne shell, C, Perl, PHP, and AppleScript,
• Knowledge of data encryption technologies such as PGP and SSH.
• Ability to maintain a Best Practices approach to installation, maintenance, and security of data communications equipment in a production environment.
• Ability to acquire considerable knowledge of the higher education systems and the function of institutions of higher learning.
• Ability to prepare clear and detailed correspondence.
• Ability to represent the university at conferences and seminars.
• Ability to establish cooperative working relationships and coordinate programs with other offices or organizations that impact on or relate to work of the program or unit.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date July 2016
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single document (PDF or MS Word) via the apply link.* https://jobs-montclairedu.icims.com/jobs/1490/network-engineer/job
Apply By Open until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION