OHR COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
JOB NO.: 89893-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: G SERV/HUMAN RES/INTERNAL OPER
Categories: Communications, Editing, Marketing, Public Relations
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 89893-AS
Working Title: OHR Communications Specialist
Official Title: SR UNIV REL SPEC(T54BN) or UNIV RELATIONS SPEC(T54DN)
Hiring Department: A022015-GENERAL SERVICES/OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES/INTERNAL OPER
Anticipated Begin Date: MAY 01, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Advertised Salary: Minimum $50,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization: A bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communications, Internal Communications or a related field is preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience: Experience providing professional written, oral, electronic and visual communication services. Experience coordinating communication plans and marketing strategies including large-scale events.
Knowledge and Skills
1. Strong writing and editing ability.
2. Knowledge of marketing strategy and planning processes.
3. Knowledge of distributing and managing media across multiple platforms including social media.
4. Knowledge of communication strategy and planning processes.
5. Knowledge of organizational development strategies.
6. Knowledge of communication needs in an educational environment.
7. Knowledge of, and skills in, measurement and program evaluation.
8. Knowledge of technology, including computer software programs, presentation technology, and Web-based systems
(including MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Internet browsers.
9. Knowledge of the work challenges associated with the functions of an office with multiple constituencies and also of alternative methods for effectively completing job duties under a variety of circumstances.
10. Exceptional communication skills - both written and oral.
11. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
12. Excellent active listening skills.
13. Problem-solving and root-cause-identification skills.
14. Strong analytic and decision making abilities.
15. Must be a team player and able to work with and through others.
16. Ability to partner with others and move toward a common vision or goal.
Position Summary: The Communications Specialist serves as an integral part of the UW-Madison Office of Human Resources (OHR). This position will lead the development and execution of an integrated, multifaceted marketing and communications strategy designed to inform multi-lingual, multi-shift campus stakeholders (e.g., employees, leadership) and build/sustain exceptional HR practices. The position will ensure the alignment of messages across all communication channels to specific audiences, including print, web, social media and special events.
More broadly, the duties of this position include building and executing effective communication strategies for HR services through marketing, public relations, change management, online strategies and other communications. Activities also include conceiving, developing and facilitating the implementation of methods to carry out OHR's ongoing commitment to transparency and inclusion for faculty/staff along with developing strong stakeholder relationships to meet expectations.
This position will be responsible for the development of communication materials delivered in a variety of formats including web-based, classroom, web-conference, oral presentations, and print. Other characteristics critical for success in this position are a desire to be a dedicated team member, excellent time management skills and strong communication skills such as speaking, writing, and interpersonal communications. The primary assignment is to create and execute the overall OHR communication strategy plan. Specific responsibilities will also include coordinating the Working at UW newsletter and website. Additional assignments assigned based on departmental needs.
Contact: Meghna Shah
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
Instructions to applicants: Please submit a cover letter and resume related to your education and experience in tailoring communication for different audiences, developing targeted marketing and communication plans, as well as other expectations in the position description.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 17 Mar 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 15 Apr 2017 01:00 PM Central Daylight Time