Data Visualization Engineer
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
NATURE OF WORK:
Data Science to Patient Value (D2V) is a multidisciplinary research initiative that focuses on Big Data methods, their applications to medicine and health care delivery, and ultimately, the achievement of high-value and patient-centered health care. An environment of collaboration and innovation in which top minds in Data Science, Health Care Delivery and Health Services Research tackle important problems is at the core of this initiative. D2V places a high priority on translation and dissemination ensuring the 'products', be they analytic methods or care pathways, have maximal impact.
D2V has an opening for a full-time Senior Professional Research Assistant. The data visualization engineer will work within a team of researchers to develop innovative data visualization techniques for the analysis and exploration of biomedical and clinical datasets, ranging from high throughput genomic studies to electronic patient records. We are looking for a team player with strong software development skills and an interest in the biomedical domain to join a data science research team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Primary duties will center on the coding, testing, and documentation of state-of-the-art biomedical data visualization systems. Application development will be guided by user studies and feedback from domain experts. This position will be responsible for implementing new functionality and prototypes as well as creating and maintaining production-ready products from existing prototypes. In addition, the person in this position will also contribute to the preparation of abstracts, oral and poster presentations, scientific manuscripts, and research grants.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- The ideal candidate will be capable of working as a member of a highly interdependent group of researchers, will be comfortable working with large datasets, and will have experience with source code and data management.
• Master's degree in computer science or a related discipline.
• Training in data visualization, HCI, interface design.
• Knowledge of Python.
• Knowledge of biology, bioinformatics, clinical informatics.
• Experience with R/Shiny.
• Experience with the Cytoscape framework for network visualization.
• Experience with scientific interactive computational environments, such as the Jupyter or Beaker notebooks.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8856
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20209 - SOM-MED-GIM
Posting Date: May 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kelley Burns
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00732185