Director of Budget and Finance, School of Law
Colorado School of Law is accepting applications for a Director of Budget and Finance. Reporting to the Law Dean, this position serves as the fiscal principal for Colorado Law.
The Director oversees all procurement, finance, tuition and budget related matters. This position will review, drive and streamline the work process to deliver a highly effective finance and procurement team that will serve the School of Law. The Director will establish and advance standards of operations that will identify institutional opportunities, challenges, and risks. This position will assist all Deans, Associate Deans and Directors, in developing and facilitating financial goals and tying these goals to larger strategic objectives. It is a liaison to the Provost Office, Planning, Budget and Analysis and Sponsored Projects Offices, and works to safeguard that all university mandated and external financial reporting deadlines, including the annual accreditation report for Colorado Law, are met. The Director will also serve as a resource and liaison for all employee groups for benefits and payroll questions.
Core Budgetary Duties:
Serve as the fiscal principal for the School of Law, has responsibility for oversight over all funds, general, auxiliary, gift, plant and grant. Ensure sufficiency of funds, create financial organizations that are structured to best represent working departments at the School of Law. Oversee the annual internal Law Budget process, define financial and operational goals for next fiscal year with the Dean and Department heads aligning goals with the Campus's strategic goals, Revenue Diversification, Reputation and Retention (Student Success). Set the budget for the upcoming fiscal year. Manage budget allocations including, disbursements from the Provost, position budgets, vacancies and leaves and replacement budget and funding adjustments as a result of the annual budget process both external and internal. Maintain Law School rosters, both the Faculty and OEP and the Research Rosters. Assist the Dean in the equitable distribution of resources, maintain the accuracy of current roster. Liaison with financial staff of the Provost Office, Planning, Budget and Analysis, CU Foundation to ensure that the Law School participates in any fiscal opportunities and is aware of upcoming financial risks. Supervise Classified Staff
Compensation, Payroll and Permanent Employee Contracts
1) Ultimately responsible for the correct distribution of compensation for all Law School employees. Serve as a liaison for compensation and benefits questions from all employees, including payroll liaisons that report to this position. Reconcile payroll registry to ensure employees are paid correctly, and resolve any discrepancies
2) Enter and review all contracts for faculty professor lines, directorships, endowed chairs, fellowships and summer stipends. Enter all Exempt Professional and Classified hires and promotions and identify funding sources and shortfalls.
3) Partner with HR Director, Manager of Operations and Executive Assistant to the Dean to maintain control sheets for second faculty appointments and adjuncts to guarantee that contracts are renewed and created in a timely manner.
4) Manage LWP, LWOP and FMLA compliance issues for faculty and staff. Serve as the School of Law Compliance Officer. Correspond with peer institution regarding Visiting Scholar contracts and compensation.
Supervisory and Training Responsibilities:
1)Drive and develop a high performance team that will comply with finance and procurement university policies and procedures, while providing quality administrative support to the Law School community.
2) Lead Colorado Law in adopting upcoming changes in all fiscal and procurement policy upgrade changes to ensure smooth working transitions are achieved.
3) Continuously review financial and procurement processes to ensure best practices are employed to actualize academic strategies and financial goals.
Annual Reporting Duties
Compiles and submits reports to publications such as ABA - Annual Accreditation Report - Finance Section, World and US News Report - Finance Section, as well for the college and university ( Year End Financial Balances/Unrestricted Net Positions, Annual Fall Budget Presentation for Faculty, Law Departmental Annual budget reports, Faculty Compensation reports), and various gift fund donor and grant reports as needed. Oversees faculty department reporting and the merit roster.
Liaison and Resource for the Law School Community and External Partners:
Serve as a resource for internal and external customers to help decode policy and interpret applicable rules between fiscal entities, including the CU Foundation, other state and granting agencies, faculty and staff.
What we can offer:
Competitive starting salary, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be involved. Be successful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
Bachelor's Degree in accounting, business administration or related field.
At least five years of increasingly responsible budget and finance experience.
At least two years of supervisory experience directing and evaluating professional and/or technical staff.
What We'd Like
Experience in fund accounting at the University of Colorado or another institution of higher education.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 9, 2017 for first consideration.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200, extension 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Name-(Job Number).
Please do not upload references at this time. References will be requested separately for potential finalists.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10352 - School of Law
Posting Date: Mar 17, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00694482