Assistant Director for Tutoring Services
Functional Title Assistant Director for Tutoring Services
Position Type Administration - Staff
Student Support Services (SSS) is a TRIO-grant support program designed to maximize academic performance for UNCG students who are first-generation, from modest income backgrounds, or who have a disability, and who also demonstrate academic need for services.
The Assistant Director for Tutoring Services manages the daily operation of the tutoring component for Student Support Services. The Assistant Director provides all recruitment, orientation, training and in-services to peer and professional tutors. Additionally, the Assistant Director works closely with the TRIO staff to advise and support the 200 students enrolled in the SSS program.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, screen, interview, and select all prospective tutors, SSS Tutoring Lab monitors, and (possible) graduate student workers; complete hiring process and recommend finalists to the Director.
- Orient, train, and supervise all peer and professional tutors in collaboration with the TASP Assistant Director for Tutoring Services, as well as orient, train, and supervise Lab Monitors and graduate student workers. Assist with the coordination of the College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA) tutor certification process and proposal writing.
- Develop a positive working relationship with academic departments and faculty for the purpose of tutor recruitment; market the program for increased awareness in the community by creating bulletin boards and fliers, writing classified advertisements, and submitting relevant and updated information for website maintenance.
- Evaluate tutee progress based upon tutor session reports daily and consult with appropriate SSS assistant directors and director for referral purposes; provide student check-in meetings to talk about student's progress in courses.
- Manage a MS Access database related to the tutorial function, session records, payroll, etc. Maintain accurate records and document all tutor instruction and hours.
The Assistant Director for Tutoring Services supervises 30-45 peer and professional tutors each academic year, and 3-5 Lab Monitors each year. The position requires solid management techniques, experience with training, teaching, or professional development, and general understanding of challenges facing college students. The AD works closely with the entire SSS staff to support students in the program and the mission of the University.
The candidate must have at least a Bachelor's degree in Education, or a closely related field. Additionally, the candidate should have at least one year of administrative experience. The candidate should also have some work experience with first-generation college students.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The anticipated start date for this position is May 1, 2017.
Recruitment Range $35,000-$37,000
Org #-Department Special Support Services - 10912
Job Open Date 03/17/2017
For Best Consideration Date 04/07/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? Yes
Time Limited Duration
08/31/2017 – with option for renewal
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying?
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News and Record
- Other newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal/Website
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Job Board
- Personal Networking
- Social Media
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu