Sr. Production Manager/Chef de Cuisine
Sr. Production Manager/Chef de Cuisine
University of San Diego
Department: Dining Services
The Sr. Production Manager/Chef De Cuisine Manage and oversees all culinary operation for the centralized kitchen. The Sr. Production Manager/Chef de Cuisine is responsible for the organization, coordination and supervision of the preparation of food production, maintenance of quality standards and/or portion control and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards. The Sr. production manager/chef de cuisine is responsible for training, coordinating and evaluating the work of the production staff. This position is responsible for assisting in purchasing, recipe and product development. They will assist in the development of departmental goals. The Sr. production manager/chef de cuisine will provide support for a Hospitality/Dining Operation in one or more of the following areas: Plan, develop and supervise a production/culinary team using a comprehensive menu management program. Ensure overall consistency and high quality across the various operations; plan menus based on such factors as market trends, customer preferences and nutritional considerations; design recipes, determine appropriate ingredients and specify individual serving portion for each recipe. Develop menus in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints; participate in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development. This position works under general supervision received from the Area Director and exercise general supervision of all culinary staff, part-time/student production staff and custodial staff.
Staff Supervision /Leadership
• Exercise administrative supervision over chef leads, chefs, chef assistant, cooks, bakers, custodians, and other Dining service staff including Part-time staff and student employees engaged in culinary operations.
• Develops and implements all schedules.
• Serves as a leader for employees while fostering teamwork, employee morale, motivation and open communication.
• Knows and follows all University and Dining Services policies and procedures; instructs staff regarding Dining Services policies.
• Assures compliance with the dining services policies and procedures.
• Informs employees of policy and procedural changes.
• Conducts new employee orientation for kitchen staff.
• Teaches employees non-negotiable standards of performance.
• Develops and conducts individual and group training sessions and gives instruction to employees to meet job requirements.
• Able to operate kitchen equipment and train others on its proper use.
• Responsible for the direction, supervision, training and evaluation of cooks, custodian, students and part-time staff.
• Sets leadership example by a willingness to work all job tasks.
• Provides opportunities for staff development.
• Develops and implements programs for employee recognition.
• Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to insure that work is accurate and complete.
• Responsible for the smooth flow of work, communication and ideas through a congenial, caring and supportive attitude.
• Takes corrective action to ensure acceptable employee performance and provides both positive and corrective feedback to employees regarding performance.
• In conjunction with director assists in the recruiting, interviewing and selection of new employees.
Food Quality and Guests Experience
• Supervises and ensures the quality and quantity preparation of all menu and specialty items. Acts as working supervisor for all items
• Responsible for the development, planning and facilitating of menus as well as specialty meals.
• Assists in the ongoing review and upgrading of service, product and menus
• Maintains consistent high quality standards
• Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed
• Ensures that products are not held longer than established holding times
• Services customers/ guests with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide quality service
• Reports feedback from customer to management or responds directly as appropriate
• Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration, and discretion at all interactions with the university community and its guests
• Checks production sheet against inventory to assure necessary items on hand; plans for back up items as needed.
• Maintains daily communication with appropriate staff to adjust production according to changes in guarantees.
• Determines correct methods of preparation and instructs staff in correct methods.
• Ensures products are made to specification. Reviews recipes for variance in finished product, including yield, appearance, taste, texture; takes corrective action as needed and communicates feedback to staff.
• Coordinates and instructs staff in appropriate sequential production time frames for maximum quality control.
• Ensures proper product portioning.
• Responsible for the timely delivery of food to event location; oversees planning and transporting of product to off-premise locations.
• Coordinates with management for use of space and coordination of production preparation.
• Responsible for proper storage and utilization of leftovers.
• Ensures proper rotation and storage of all products.
• Conducts monthly inventory.
• Coordinates and orders food and supplies and, as assigned, small equipment for catering.
• Works from bids to assure best buys.
• Develops strategic plans for food preparation in non-kitchen venues including the rental and organization of field kitchens.
• Forecasts proper quantity preparation for each item served.
• Coordinates completion of daily productions records with staff.
• Researches, develops, tests and costs new recipes and menus to assure that they meet departmental standards and are cost effective.
• Attends weekly/daily production meetings.
• Analyzes and evaluates productivity in assigned areas and takes effective action to maximize use of equipment and labor hours.
• Reviews manpower needs, evaluates labor costs and proposes new staff positions as needed.
• Responsible for the accuracy of payroll hours for part-time and full-time kitchen staff.
• Analyzes emergency situations such as staff shortages, product failures, equipment failures and provides timely solutions to problems.
• Controls expenses to ensure financial goals.
• Develops specialty menus to meet customer expectations for quality and presentation as well as budget parameters for event.
• Researches recipes to meet both theme events as well as production considerations, especially in off-premise venues.
• Works directly with customers and management on special event planning.
• Envision, plans and creates plate presentation, buffet display and food
• design with an eye to color, shape, texture and dimension.
• Assists with establishing and maintaining departmental goals
• Assists in the evaluation, development and implementation of proper policies and procedures for all areas.
Safety and Sanitation
• Continually maintains and trains the staff in sanitary practices and procedures
• Ensure compliance with all state and county health department and safety regulations and maintains high standards of sanitation as a unit priority.
• Knows and administers the hospitality/dining Services Illness and Injury Prevention Program
• Organizes all production areas to insure ease of operation.
• Conducts preventative maintenance inspections and insures that routine maintenance is performed.
• Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the work place.
• Responsible for employee development and training in proper safety and sanitation methods and techniques. Verifies employee sanitation and hazmat certification.
• Ensures that all staff knows the location of fire extinguishers and Ansul System pull stations and their proper use.
• Responsible for the security of the kitchen and kitchen areas on campus under chef's direct control.
• Coordinates and maintains cleaning schedules for full-time and part-time production employees.
• Assists in the coordination and supervision of major clean up and shut down periods.
• Responsible for the timely reporting of all accidents and/or injuries, following proper procedures.
• Serves as a member of the unit leadership team and collaborates on program enhancement.
• Strives to improve and streamline departmental operations through the continuous assessment of guidelines and procedures, work processes and program effectiveness/value.
• Participates in administrative staff meeting in order to assist in long-range unit planning activities.
• Prepares report as required.
• Participated in professional organizations, conferences and training activities, representing the department as required or assigned.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
• Must have a degree in Culinary Arts or Bachelor's degree in institutional management, nutrition, dietetics, or hotel and restaurant management.
• At least four years of culinary/food service experience.
• At least 5+ years of supervisory experience in a high-volume food production environment.
• Multi-unit Supervisory experience preferred
• Strong leadership, oral and written communication skills are required
• A proven track record of successfully controlling costs and managing annual budgets
• Experience with a computerized menu management system, and knowledge of office and industry software applications is necessary.
• Ability to work flexible and demanding hours.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrate responsible management, administrative and supervisory experience in commercial or university catering operations
• Proven problem-solving ability, to define, propose and implement effective solutions
• Demonstrate commitment to high quality in food procurement, production and services
• Proven ability to work effectively in a strong, service oriented environment with frequently changing priorities and deadlines
• Proven skills in staff organization, work flow, use of controls and personnel management.
• Ability to effectively delegate responsibility
• Ability to prioritize assignments and to complete work in a timely manner
• Good time management skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to direct, motivate and counsel staff
• Strong public relation skills. Able to work multiple functions. Ability to work with and cooperate with a variety of people in a helpful manner
• General knowledge of accounting procedures, including costing and pricing menu items
• General knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures
• General knowledge of inventory techniques
• Ability to function effectively in a university environment
• Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently, demonstrating initiative and creativity.
• Considerable knowledge of proper cook times, temperatures and procedures
• Strong Culinary background with thorough knowledge of classical and modern cooking methods and techniques.
• Thorough knowledge of equipment and tools listed below and preventive maintenance techniques.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Must complete ServSafe Food Safety Certification Class
• Must complete the University's hazard communication program
Special Conditions of Employment
• Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, early mornings, weekends and holidays.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate intersession and summer conference business.
• Must have excellent personal hygiene because of contact with food and food products.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 40 per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smoke-free/
Click http://www.sandiego.edu/jobs/ to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com