Office of University Communications
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
Be an important part of Brown University’s growing visual storytelling team. Help transform how the University engages with our community and shares Brown’s excellent reputation with the world.
Brown’s Office of University Communications (OUC) seeks an Art Director who will lead the creative team in producing attractive, user-centric, innovative designs for integrated, multi-platform use across Brown’s Web, digital and print media.
The Art Director will be responsible for developing a creative, vibrant and unified look and feel for the University’s print and digital publications, identity products and other related materials, as well as for maintaining and reinforcing consistency for the University’s graphic identity and branding.
Reporting to the Director of Graphic Services, the Art Director will manage the team of designers in the Office of University Communications. The Art Director will collaborate with content strategists, the creative team and production managers to meet the needs of campus clients in developing communications that are aligned with the overall visual identity and strategic goals of the University, while ensuring that quality standards, industry requirements, and client deadlines are met.
The Art Director will serve as the lead designer and strategist with a high level of expertise and experience across a variety of media, and manage a portfolio of assigned personal projects for enterprise level clients and endeavors. The Art Director will supervise the design team’s direction and selection of photography, graphic elements, colors, type treatment, and production across related media. The Art Director will acquire a comprehensive knowledge of Brown and communicate in a professional manner with University stakeholders, audiences and partners at all levels and across disciplines. The Art Director will lead the design team to provide excellent creative direction and service, representing the OUC as a leader and resource in advanced design and communications for the University.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing and directing creative teams and projects, along with extensive expertise in design fundamentals and design concept management across all related media, consistent with desired project impact, messaging and user experience. The candidate will also have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, demonstrate initiative, flexibility. The candidate will demonstrate a collaborative nature and the ability to give and accept constructive feedback, as well as the capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining high quality product and services. The Art Director will be a conceptual thinker who not only creates visual solutions, but also is a collaborator who can explain those concepts and solutions.
A digital and print portfolio demonstrating professional experience with design concepts and execution is a prerequisite for the position. A completed application through the Brown University website is required. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
- Bachelor’s in visual design, digital arts or a related field (equivalent professional experience will be considered).
- A minimum of ten years of design experience, including a minimum of three years of Web and digital design.
- At least three to five years of experience managing a design team to develop creative, vibrant and unified print and digital publications, identity products and other related materials. (Managerial experience may be concurrent with design experience.)
- Demonstrated expertise in design fundamentals and proven aesthetic judgment, with the ability to create strong visual design and concepts executed across multiple digital and related platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise with visual identity and branding.
- High proficiency and experience with Apple OS, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop), and Microsoft Office Suite.
- An understanding of Web and digital strategies to improve communications, usability and user experience (UX/UI) principles and standards.
- Ability to contribute ideas and execute the ideas of others competently; ability to work autonomously and as a team.
- Desire and willingness to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of an institution, its key stakeholders, audiences and partners, and to communicate in a professional manner to all levels of leadership across disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, showing initiative and flexibility, strong creative service, collaborative instincts, and receptive of constructive feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality.
- Knowledge of related technologies, such as collaborative workflow systems, digital asset and content management tools, and client relations tools.
- Knowledge of Web standards, technologies and languages and accessibility/508 compliance.
- Knowledge of applicable intellectual property, image permissions, copyright and trademark requirements.
- Some off-campus travel, as needed.
- Demonstrated professional experience through a digital and print portfolio that must be available for review.
To View More Details and To Apply, please use this link to the position on Brown’s Career Site:
Applicants are required to use the Brown Career Site to apply for the position and to submit their resume, cover letter and any related documents. Please check the status of your application through the account you create when you apply.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
About Brown (Please visit our website and get to know us better at: www.brown.edu)
Brown is an Ivy League University located in Providence, Rhode Island, comprised of undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Engineering, Executive Master of Healthcare Leadership and the IE Brown Executive MBA. With its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional graduate and undergraduate instruction. We have a dynamic campus community with many exciting events, such as visits from world leaders, sporting events, theatre, music, and dance. Brown offers competitive benefits such as a generous retirement plan and education programs; details are available at: http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/human-resources/
Brown is being recognized by the Alliance for Work-Life Progress for success in work-life programs, policies and practices. To earn the Seal of Distinction, Brown had to meet criteria and be assessed in each of the seven categories listed for work-life effectiveness that defines a best-in-class work-life portfolio in today's workplace.