Assistant Controller - Financial Operations
In the midst of a stimulating urban environment, UNC Asheville offers a small-college setting in one of the most scenic areas of the country. Our beautiful location provides the backdrop for career-minded professionals who value work and life balance. UNC Asheville employees embrace and reflect the university's core values of diversity and inclusion, innovation and sustainability as we build a respectful, vibrant, responsible and inclusive campus community.The Assistant Controller reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance/Controller and supports UNC Asheville's mission and strategic plan through managing and directing financial operations. The Assistant Controller has management and oversight responsibility for all aspects of the payroll, purchasing and accounts payable, accounts receivable, and student accounts functions.
This position provides direct strategic, operational, and project management support to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance/Controller for a wide range of financial reporting and operational directives as determined by the University's various constituencies.
The Assistant Controller assists in the formulation of and adherence to financial management policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and generally accepted financial accounting reporting and auditing standards and requirements. The Assistant Controller is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, supervising and administering the daily operations, strategic objectives, and financial compliance for payroll, purchasing and accounts payable, accounts receivable, and student accounts, including the integrity of all financial records and reporting. The Assistant Controller is the champion of several operational systems that integrate into the ERP system such as the procurement and e-commerce systems. The success of major accounting and finance initiatives may depend upon the leadership provided by the position.
UNC Asheville's Assistant Controller will provide a high level of service to the University and its stakeholders that is competent, approachable, reliable, empathetic, and responsive. This position leads a team of three managers (Payroll, Director of Student Accounts, and Business Services) and ten indirect reports in providing exceptional service to our customers.For this leadership position, we seek applicants with:
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or Management required.
- Six to eight years of senior level accounting experience.
- Minimum management/supervisory experience of four years.
- Previous experience working in a variety of financial areas with considerable scope and complexity.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational skills, a demonstrated commitment to open collaboration and customer service, strong verbal and written communication skills, the ability to manage stress and work under pressure while multitasking under deadlines. The ability to be a hands-on leader.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with a diverse population; and demonstrated level of cultural competence. Must have the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies, including faculty, staff, students, parents, etc.
- Ability to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion is critical.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet software.
A Master's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or Management or a Bachelor's degree with significant financial experience with increasing responsibility. Eight to ten years of senior level accounting experience, with at least six years of progressively increasing supervisory accounting and professional management experience. Prior management experience in at least two of the functional areas of payroll, purchasing and accounts payable, accounts receivable, and student accounts functions. Prefer prior experience working in several of the functional areas. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), the Banner ERP system, and financial reporting and analysis. Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Certified Public Accountant Certificate. Learn more about this vacancy, and apply online at http://jobs.unca.edu/. Review of applications begins April 5, 2017, and continues until the position is filled.