HELP DESK TECHNICIAN
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
HELP DESK TECHNICIAN
Position #: 1700036
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Assoc Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
ITSS (Information Technology Support Services)
First Review Date:
$55,839 - $68,143 Annual Salary (Range 95: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2015-2016). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 17 paid holidays.
The Help Desk Technician reports to the Help Desk and Reprographics Supervisor at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Thursday; 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. and Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Under the direction of the Help Desk and Reprographics Supervisor or assigned administrator, perform a variety of technical and skilled tasks in the Help Desk operation; respond to and assist in the diagnosis of problems through interactions with users including problem recognition, research, documentation, troubleshooting and resolution of problems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide first level technology support for users and assist with problem resolution in technical areas such as computers, printers, video, software, audio-visual, WebAdvisor, ERP system, phones, network access, wireless, mobile devices, password resets, online courses, security, cloud services, etc.
- Respond to user questions and inquiries in a timely manner through telephone, e-mail, text, social media, oral and written forms of communication, demonstration, remote access to computer, and devices to assist users with disabilities.
- Assist users in resolving routine technical problems and answer routine technical questions related to the District software and hardware.
- Follow up with users to ensure the reported problems are fully resolved.
- Use the Help Desk tracking software to log, assign, and track all support tickets.
- Monitor the tracking software to ensure that open tickets assigned to Help Desk Technicians are resolved and closed in a timely manner.
- Ensure assigned backup tapes are rotated according to the schedule and process.
- Maintain the tracking database to ensure data is accurately entered. Prepare reports for management as scheduled or as needed.
- Escalate user requests to a 2nd or 3rd level support when necessary. Notify IT management when a critical system wide resource becomes unavailable.
- Monitor and manage the Help Desk voicemail, email, social media and other forms of communication.
- Research and recommend new products or procedures. Help identify and implement innovative solutions for users.
- Keep abreast of current trend on Help Desk operations. Attend necessary training for related standardized IT products and services.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS Knowledge of: 1. Principles of technical troubleshooting and problem solving. 2. Principles of networking and computer functionality. 3. Computer hardware systems, printers, software applications such as Microsoft used in college operations. 4. Working knowledge of help desk software, databases and control of remote computers. 5. Principles of training, support, and services to end-users. 6. Principles of customer service. 7. Principles of providing guidance to others. Skills and Ability to: 1. Operate computer systems and related peripheral equipment. 2. Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. 3. Respond to inquiries in a courteous, tactful manner. 4. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others. 5. Work together in a team environment. 6. Multitask, prioritize and meet task timelines. 7. Work with attention to detail and independently with minimum supervision.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
2. Two years of experience increasingly responsible experience performing help desk operation function or related activities.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve; and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, computer information systems, or a related field.
2. A+ and/or Microsoft certification and other industry recognized network certifications.
3. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Office environment.
2. Constant interruptions.
1. Extended viewing of computer monitor.
2. Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
3. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
4. Sitting for extended periods of time.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 40% Hispanic/Latino, 29% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 20% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities