OPS Large Animal On-Call Technician
OPS Hourly Non-Secretary/ClerkJob Description:
The University of Florida, Large Animal Hospital is recruiting for an OPS Large Animal Veterinary Technician to work primarily on-call for nights, weekends and holidays with additional hours available. This is a position that requires a motivated, well-organized and caring individual with experience in treating and handling horses - but may include goats, pigs, alpacas, cattle, sheep and llama patients.
As a member of our nursing staff, you will assist veterinary students in technical skills and perform medical treatments and procedures under the supervision of a veterinarian. In addition to strong communication and leadership skills, you must be proficient in equine handling and monitoring, as well as have the ability to accommodate shift work in a unit that is open 24/7. Additionally, you will help to maintain a sanitary and functionally well-organized service within the UF Large Animal Hospital.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assists in patient medical evaluation and performs patient observations, monitoring, administers medications/treatments and recording in the patient medical record. Collects, prepares, and submits clinical pathology samples, captures and inputs fees for materials and services.
- Assists professional staff in performing critical and intensive care or life sustaining emergency care, diagnostic services, blood collection, and fluid administration as directed. Also provides additional care of animal patients, such as bathing, hydrotherapy, etc. Prepares rations to meet dietary needs of hospitalized patients.
- Maintains a supply inventory and replenishes stock within the assigned areas and will maintain a clean/sanitary and functionally organized clinical service area.
- Assists with the management of after-hours admissions and discharges, visitor policies and emergency call-ins. Also will assist clinicians in gathering and recording information pertinent to receiving and working up emergency cases.
- Sets up, maintains and ensures proper storage of specialized diagnostic equipment.
Expected shifts are primarily Sunday through Saturday, 5pm-7am and 7am-5pm on weekends and holidays. There is potential to expand hours to cover staff on leave. Other hours available for filling in alternate shifts, holidays, or on-call duty as needed. Expected number of hours is: 16-20 hrs/week up to 40 hours. Training and uniforms provided. Hourly rate is $11.00/hr. with additional on-call pay.Advertised Salary:
Hourly rate is $11.00/hr. with additional on-call pay.Minimum Requirements:
• Must have experience with horses to be considered.
• Must be able to bend, kneel and squat for periods of time to restrain and treat patients.
• Must be capable of lifting at least 50–100 pounds on a regular basis and work in adverse weather conditions.
Experience as a Veterinary Technician.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload a resume, cover letter and list of references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 pm (EDT) of the posting end date.
Requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants do not need to reapply.Health Assessment Required: Yes