Director of Development - Beckley
West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), part of the WVU system of campuses, is seeking a self-motivated and driven fundraising professional to cultivate relationships and solicit support from prospective and current donors by sharing the successes of our students, faculty and staff.
The Director of Development will have the unique opportunity to build partnerships that will help shape the direction of the venture of WVU Tech on a new campus in Beckley. Additionally,this position will engage new and current philanthropic partners to explore and expand services and opportunities for the WVU system in southern West Virginia.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Manage plans for comprehensive donor relations and stewardship in close coordination with the WVU Foundation and generate annual gift revenue for the campus.
- Manage a comprehensive program to generate current gift revenue from individuals, corporations, and foundations, in addition to deferred gift revenue from individuals.
- Coordinate all development efforts with the WVU Foundation and comply with all WVU Foundation reporting and accountability standards.
- Develop and execute various special events to generate new prospects and continue stewardship with current donors while coordinating with all appropriate offices across campus and the WVU Foundation.
- Understand the mission, vision, history, strategic plan and outreach programs at WVU Tech.
- Attend campus events and engage with members of the campus community to gain an understanding of campus culture and be informed of current and upcoming opportunities for funding.
- Manage a portfolio of major, leadership and principal gift donors and prospects as defined by working with the WVU Foundation. The process includes initial identification through cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Plan, schedule, and complete frequent travel, including overnight, to make contact with prospects and donors in completion of portfolio management. The majority of travel is in West Virginia and surrounding region, with occasional national travel.
- Initiate and facilitate collegial relationships and open communications with other Foundation and University development staff, and other University and WVU Tech constituents in advancing the mission of the campus.
- Work Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with some evenings and weekends
WVU Tech is a regional division of the West Virginia University system with campuses currently located in both Montgomery and Beckley, West Virginia. It boasts a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of 17 students, allowing personalized attention in a supportive environment. WVU Tech is ranked first in the state for return on investment, and seventh in the nation in annual ROI for students paying in-state tuition.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Two years of progressive experience in development with a history of successful major gift ($25,000+) solicitations
- Preference will be given to candidates with greater experience in development, higher education; and experience at a comprehensive university
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan projects and carry them to completion
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with internal and external contacts
- Excellent time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to write successful development and research proposals
- Demonstrated experience with a successful comprehensive campaign
- Demonstrated working knowledge of planned giving vehicles and methods
- Background check
- Valid driver's license
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: Mar 16, 2017
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes