Youth Computer Science Instructor - Washington DC
Great opportunity! This part time summer position has the potential for additional work!
Calling all coders with teaching experience and teachers with coding experience: Strayer's youth coding initiative, Generation Code is hiring! We are looking for passionate educators capable of teaching one or more of the following courses:
- Scratch Animation and Design (Ages 7-10) - Experience with visual programming platforms such as Scratch, Code.org, etc.
- Scratch Game Design (Ages 7-10) - Experience with visual programming platforms such as Scratch, Code.org, etc.
- Exploring Hardware and Robots (Ages 9-11) - Experience with Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- Game Development with Java (Ages 13-17) - Experience with Java
- Android Development Bootcamp (Ages 13-17) - Experience with Android Development Studio
Job Description and Skills:
- Successful delivery of curriculum to students
- Complete classroom management training
- Conduct pre and post assessments
- Complete personal development training
- Be an active advocate for the program and the schools
- Completion of daily Reflection forms
- AA degree required unless you have successfully completed a coding boot camp or certified training.
- 6 months experience as a front-end developer OR equivalent experience.
- Experience as a teacher or other experience working with youth (i.e. advising, mentoring, tutoring, babysitting, etc.)
- STEM programming experience (i.e.: Robotics, MineCraft, Lego MindStorm, Raspberry Pi, or alternative programs of a similar type).
- Strong communication skills
- Must enjoy working with kids and teens and enthusiastically engage the students.
- Coding classes are scheduled at a range of times throughout the day in a variety of settings, so scheduling is flexible. This is a part time job - requiring a full summer commitment - all of July thru all of August.
Working at Strayer is rewarding and each one of us is incredibly passionate about succeeding at our mission and that passion is contagious. With that in mind we are always in search of dedicated, talented individuals who want to be part of something that's enriching, challenging, and rewarding.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at Careers@strayer.edu.
Strayer University is an equal opportunity employer and employs qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification proscribed under applicable law.