Dean, Honors College
The University of Arizona (UA) is launching a national search for the Dean of its Honors College. We seek a Dean who is poised to lead the creation and implementation of an honors experience like no other in the country, setting a new national model for honors education. The Dean will be a committed teacher and scholar, confident in facilitating the training of bright, motivated, self-directed students. The Dean will be a fearless experimenter, communicator, collaborator, innovator and community builder with students, faculty leaders, academic colleges and dedicated staff alike. The Honors Dean must be a dynamic individual who is ready to implement new modalities for undergraduate honors education with a compelling vision of what honors education can be in the future.
As a unique academic college that collaborates across the academy, the UA Honors College brings together the highest caliber faculty, staff, and students who are relentlessly focused on addressing the grand challenges of our time. The UA Honors College integrates diversity, discovery, research, and engagement into every facet of the undergraduate experience, creating an unparalleled learning environment that is a training ground for the next generation of global leaders and citizens.
The University of Arizona is a premier public research university, ranked among the best in the world. The UA is rooted in rich history and tradition with a vibrant and thriving community on the cutting edge of education, discovery and impact. The Dean of the Honors College will embrace the sense of limitless possibility on which the University of Arizona prides itself. With a population of 43,600 students, the UA has a reputation as a global leader in the preparation of students for life beyond graduation. As a proud member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), the UA is at the forefront of research with a constant drive to advance the frontiers of interdisciplinary scholarship and entrepreneurial partnerships. Bringing more than $606 million in research investment each year, the UA ranks 21st among all public universities. Many honors students are directly involved in this research as well as the hundreds of other formal opportunities for student engagement across the creative and liberal arts. Additional information may be found at the UA's website: http://www.arizona.edu/.
Duties and Responsibilities
We seek a Dean who can skillfully build, articulate and advance the vision for the future of honors education at the University of Arizona. This vision must be co-created with students, faculty, and academic colleges; it must also be deeply integrated with the university's 100% Engagement initiative (http://ose.arizona.edu). The Dean serves as the academic leader and executive officer of the college and reports to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean is responsible for oversight of a comprehensive recruitment and admissions process that yields innovative and passionate learners who are exceptionally talented students from Arizona and throughout the world. The Dean is also responsible for the expansion of a world-class Honors student experience, collaboration with the best and brightest faculty on campus, and oversight of a comprehensive development campaign that prioritizes cross-campus investments in infrastructure. The Dean must be in touch with the needs and emerging trends of our most academically gifted students. The UA is now designated an Emerging Hispanic Serving Institution. It has one of the highest levels of Pell eligibility for its students amongst AAU institutions. The ideal candidate will embrace and champion UA's Inclusive Excellence initiative and have a demonstrated record of engagement in serving diverse student populations with innovative programs that attract and retain the best students locally, nationally, and internationally.
- A strong record of teaching, scholarship and service commensurate with a mid- to senior-level faculty appointment;
- A terminal degree appropriate to academic field;
- An exceptional track record of effective leadership and innovation;
- An exceptional track record in effective student recruiting;
- An exceptional track record of facilitating interdisciplinary and cross-campus collaborations;
- A demonstrated record of successful administrative and management experience;
- A demonstrated capacity in development efforts;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, shared governance, and participatory decision-making;
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with multiple internal and external stakeholders, including, but not limited to, students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, legislators, community members, and parents;
- A demonstrated ability to utilize technology (UA is the West's first Adobe Creative Campus) to enhance program offerings and effectively communicate with constituents; and
- A demonstrated record with marketing, public relations and the development of a stakeholder culture.
- An exceptional record of teaching, scholarship and service tenurable at the level of Full Professor;
- Demonstrated experience working and teaching in an Honors program; and
- A demonstrated track record of creating community partnerships that have resulted in the placement of honors students in extraordinary positions.
Application and Nomination Process
Applicants must submit a current resume and cover letter. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Submission of materials via email is strongly encouraged. Nomination letters should include the contact information of the nominee. All nominations and applications will be handled in strict confidence. Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted to:
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
Refer to code “UA-HCDEAN” in the subject line
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff, and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.”
Apply for Dean, Honors College
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly