The Programmer/Analyst is a member of the Institutional Information Systems Group (ISG) of ITS that supports the Occidental College community’s access to and use of institutional information. Working with the BI Manager and cross-functional teams, this position will analyze, develop, and implement complex computer applications and databases in order to meet users’ operational and analytical reporting needs; document and maintain specified areas of application software; coordinate execution of new projects; and act as a resource to campus constituents. The position augments the decision support service capability offered through ITS.
- Conducts business process review and analysis; implements business process improvement to streamline services, create efficiencies; and facilitates continuous technology improvement.
- Interprets users’ business needs and translates them into application and operational requirements.
- Configures information systems to support and enhance business processes.
- Designs and develops operational and statistical dashboards/reports using Argos to query and extract data from large databases. Produces data reports from complex data sets with optimization in mind.
- Designs and develops database objects (datamarts, functions, views, tables, packages, etc.) using PL/SQL to support reporting needs.
- Works with management and end-users to define reporting and business analysis needs and to develop appropriate information access strategies.
- Evaluates the technical needs of the departments across campus and delivers practical and innovative solutions to software challenges.
- Provides systems analysis for Ellucian’s Banner ERP and other administrative applications, often spanning multiple functional areas.
- Works independently to understand the technical operation of a wide variety of software and services.
- Performs complex analytical and technical work in relation to various computer applications, databases, websites, and systems.
- Conducts user training and workshops.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A baccalaureate degree and three years’ experience working in a software development environment, or an appropriate combination of training, work experience, and skills.
- 3+ years of experience writing complex SQL.
- 3+ years of experience in designing, developing, and tuning Oracle PL/SQL (packages, procedures, functions, and triggers).
- Experience with SQL Developer and SQL Loader.
- Proficient with report writing and data mining techniques using SQL, PL/SQL, and ETL processes.
- Strong knowledge of Oracle database fundamentals and relational database concepts.
- Ability to effectively and independently recommend, document, communicate, implement, and sustain improvements in processes, procedures, and operations.
- Knowledge of software life-cycle, including design, testing, and implementation techniques.
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated skills in verbal communication and technical writing, as well as the ability to explain technical subjects to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to use effective interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy, while forging strong working relationships with IT professionals and end-users.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work both independently and in teams on small- and large-scale projects in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Must have a collaborative spirit and the ability to contribute meaningfully to group discussions and work within a high performing team to create innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Testing, debugging, and documenting software programs. Maintaining and modifying existing software applications.
- Current standards in relation to the compliance of security and data protection.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning systems with an Oracle back-end database (e.g. Ellucian Banner or PeopleSoft) or educational software applications such as Student, Finance, Advancement, or Human Resources systems.
- Performing upgrades to administrative database and software applications such as PowerFAIDS, Mainsaver, Kronos, and Resource25.
- Experience with Cognos, Argos, or Crystal Reports.
- Experience working in a higher education setting is desirable.
- Demonstrates Initiative: Works proactively to identify deficiencies, and to recommend and/or implement the necessary solutions, methods, procedures, or projects to correct them.
- Action Oriented: Works diligently and exudes a high level of energy, thinks quickly on one's feet, makes things happen, maximizes spontaneous opportunities and eagerly pursues new challenges.
- Analytical: Works to understand a complex situation, issue or problem by breaking it down into manageable pieces. Uses a step-by-step approach to evaluate consequences and implications.
- Problem Solving: Analyzes interrelated elements of problems and works systematically to solve them; uses sound judgment to develop efficient and feasible resolutions to challenging issues.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.