IT Associate, Level 3 (Provisional) / Desktop Support Analyst
I.T. Associates perform moderately complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Associates work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving complex technology problems and serving as a technical resource. They have considerable latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may have supervisory responsibilities.
I.T. Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Graduate Center (GC) is the principal doctorate-granting institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). Offering more than thirty doctoral degrees from Anthropology to Urban Education, and fostering globally significant research in a wide variety of centers and institutes, the GC provides academic training in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. The Graduate Center is also integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, The Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events - lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theater that enrich and inform.
Information Technology (IT) is the division of the GC responsible for voice, video, and data systems and services. The mission of this unit is to promote, facilitate, and support the effective use of technology in the learning process, in instruction and research, and in processing and accessing institutional information.
The IT Associate, Level 3/Desktop Support Analyst reports to the Computer Systems Manager of Client Services. The incumbent will work directly with other members of IT Client Services and collaborate with key IT groups and staff members. This position is responsible for providing timely computer and network support to faculty and staff. The individual will be expected to perform technology troubleshooting for a wide variety of technology-driven devices, services, and solutions. The Desktop Support Analyst will also assist in the creation, testing, securing and deploying of enterprise-wide Windows/Mac images. Working in conjunction with our other technology groups, the incumbent will proactively ensure that the operating system is securely maintained through the distribution of updates and packages. S/he will use and maintain desktop management tools for Windows (SCCM) and Macs (Casper) for faculty and staff computers.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Installs and supports desktop and laptop computers, handheld devices, printers, monitors, portable data storage devices and other general peripherals, for multiple technology platforms (including Windows PC and Apple Mac);
- Diagnoses and resolves technical problems; responds to escalated problems from clients; performs triage; provides remote problem resolution when possible; dispatches problems to associated groups throughout IT; communicates with clients about hardware and software issues not resolved remotely;
- Configures IT devices for secure operation, including installation of security software, software updates, and other configurations as required using McAfee Antivirus and Encryption server, for multiple technology platforms (including Windows PC and Apple Mac);
- Deploys images and software applications, manages desktop hardware and backups; tracks all issues in the help-desk-issue tracking module by utilizing Symantec/Altiris for windows and Casper Suite for Macs;
- Serves as the lead liaison with the Office of Student Affairs for the Assistive Technology Program to support students' special needs for software and hardware technology; installs and troubleshoots specialized suite of software applications e.g. Kurzweil, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Zoom Text and Jaws;
- Trains, transfers knowledge and creates training materials for desktop support;
- Provides recommendations to management as to the specifications of equipment and configuration of end-user tools or improvements to end-user services;
- Configures and manages the OCS print management system which includes creating print queues, documentation, upgrades and providing training;
- Assists with end-user system updates and monitoring including Patch Management, Spyware removal and testing, virus checking, etc.;
- Works with IT Services, Media Services, and Systems Services staff as appropriate to determine and resolve problems received from clients; keeps management informed of findings; takes action independently or escalates to management as appropriate;
- Provides superior customer service to internal clients, including response to escalations; notifies customers of issues and assesses and communicates the business impact; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of seven years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: seven years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus five years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus three years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This job has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Comptia A+ Certified.
- 4-7 years of experience with Information Technology, including 4+ years support experience with networked PC equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Windows (7/10), MS Office (2013/2016), and Apple OS X (10.6 - 10.8).
- Experience supporting Windows (7 and10) and MacOS X in an enterprise environment.
- Experience designing and implementing McAfee EndPoint Encryption, and Viruscan with ePO.
- Experience using desktop and mobile device management tools for imaging, patching and software deployment (Casper, SCCM, Altiris).
- Expert knowledge of Assistive Technology support software (ZoomText, Kurzweil, Dragon Naturally Speaking).
- Experience supporting smartphones and tablets including installing/configuring apps and troubleshooting connectivity issues; experience with iOS, Android and Windows Mobile devices.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form on technical issues with technical and non-technical clients.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload documents in Word or PDF format.
April 3, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Graduate Center
Job Title: IT Associate, Level 3 (Provisional) / Desktop Support Analyst
Job ID: 16470