Application Programmer II - Health Outcomes and Policy
Classification Title: Application Programmer II Job Description:
Our research team is seeking an experienced full-stack software engineer for a research project funded by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences. The software engineer would be the technical lead in the design, implementation, and testing of the third generation of a widely-used web-based solution for computing power and sample size for general linear mixed models. The software engineer would work within a team led by two biostatisticians, an epidemiologist, and a computer scientist.
The third generation will continue to follow the open-source approach, and be developed in an environment using the Python Flask/Angular JS 2.0 web development stack. A new generation will be developed to revamp an existing Java/Angular JS 1.x based web application for all components, including the front-end user interface (Angular JS), middle tier web services (Python Flask), and the underlying computational structure (C/C++ with interfaces to Python). The incumbent will also be responsible to lead the expansion and development of automated testing suites for all software modules. The software engineer will assist statisticians in translating newly derived statistical theory results into software libraries, and developing statistical simulations. Additional duties include software project management, and collaborative writing of research manuscripts for journal submission.
The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring the highest standards of open-source documentation and archiving at all stages of the project in order to provide a robust future for the software.
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team in the design and development of the third generation front-end user interface.
- Refine the definition and implementation of the existing middle tier web services.
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team in the design and development of underlying computational packages, including assisting biostatisticians in translating newly derived statistical theory results into Java libraries, and developing statistical simulations.
- Update the existing suite, and develop and implement automated testing suites for all software modules.
- Participate in software project management, including making and meeting realistic deadlines.
- Collaborative in writing research manuscripts for journal submission, as an aspect of open-source documentation and publication of software.
$80,000 - $100,000 based on education and experience.
Bachelor's degree and three years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Preferred Qualifications: - Bachelors degree or higher in computer science or related field.
- Experience with full software development life-cycle.
- Working knowledge of development tools on Windows, Mac OS, or Unix/Linux (Eclipse, Maven, Git, etc.)
- Strong experience in Python Flask/Angular JS and C/C++
- Strong experience with web technologies such as nginx, HTML 5, CSS, json, and Bootstrap.
- Experience with Linux server environment and deploying Python based web applications
- Experience with Java web development stack is a plus
- Experience with the Amazon Web Service platform is a plus Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EST) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required: No