At Stony Brook Medicine, a Pharmacy Assistant is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population. Under the general supervision of a Pharmacist, the Pharmacy Technician prepares medications for dispensing pursuant to a Pharmacist reviewed medication order or computer-generated list.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior communication and organization skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Pharmacy Assistant may include but are not limited to the following:
- Batch-manufactures parenteral solutions under the supervision of Pharmacist, using aseptic technique.
- Repackages medications under the supervision of a Pharmacist following Departmental Policy and Procedure.
- Fills unit dose cassettes from pharmacy profiles or medication fill list.
- Fills new medication orders for first doses.
- Processes cassette ADT's (admission, discharge, transfer).
- Processes floor stock emergency drug and drug transfer requisitions.
- Maintains appropriate levels of inventory in work area.
- Maintains proper medication storage.
- Assists the Pharmacist in restocking crash carts and emergency boxes as needed.
- When assigned, delivers medications and I.V. solutions.
- When assigned, completes patient care unit inspections.
- Maintains awareness of and follows all rules, policies and procedures of the department. In addition, all State Pharmacy laws and DEA controlled substance laws will be strictly observed and followed.
- May be assigned to the Pyxis program, restocking Pyxis med-stations.
Current Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification.
Preferred Qualifications: A minimum one year of hospital pharmacy technician experience. Associate Degree or equivalent preferred.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Pharmacy Assistant
Job Field: Pharmacy
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Pharmacy-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift Varies (6:00 am to 8:00 am start time)Pharmacy-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 15, 2017
Posting End Date: Apr 14, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Salary Grade: SL1