Education Specialist / Psychometrician
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Radiology
Education Specialist / Psychometrician (Academic Services Principal Professional)
Position #732277 - Requisition 08873
School of Medicine, Department of Radiology has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Education Specialist/Psychometrician (Academic Services Principal Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Department of Radiology has 77 subspecialty-trained faculty and 38 residents. Daily interactive conferences are given at three of the hospitals with teleconferencing for the remainder of the residents. In addition to the daily conferences, there are resident-run weekly hot seat conferences, Introductory Core Lectures, Emergency Radiology Course lectures, and dedicated Radiology Physics preparation. The residency program at the University of Colorado is highly ranked and greater than 90 percent of the graduates in the past five years have pursued fellowships, and all graduates have entered competitive fellowship programs of their choice.
The department also provides training to medical students in their 3rd and 4th years using the state-of-the-art Beginning to Advanced Radiology (BAR) Lab. The BAR Lab design facilitates blended learning including flipped classroom and team based learning methodologies. The physical space is equipped with a Philips virtual simulation teaching PACS identical to the clinical application currently used throughout the University of Colorado Health System and utilizes iPads to deliver curriculum through the use of iTunes University. Medical students and residents undergo small group learning in this innovative space.
Jobs in this career family provide direct professional support for the teaching and/or educational service mission of the university. Functions include academic advising/counseling, student personnel administration, recruitment and admissions, registration, financial aid, faculty affairs, library services, curriculum administration, and others involving direct support of the educational mission of an academic unit.
Principal Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed at an advanced or expert level.
Principal Professionals are either work leads over others or are considered a subject matter expert in a particular area.
Department of Radiology is looking for an experienced Education Specialist/Psychometrician for the Radiology Education Program. This role will construct tests and interpret results for the purpose of assessing resident and medical student understanding of the topics covered during lectures. This person ensures the accuracy and validity of exams and gathers data that will be instrumental to improving the performance of an individual or group. Additional responsibilities will include: conducting evaluation analyses, leading and facilitating standard setting activities, and collaborating with program development staff to promote quality assessments. This role will also serve as a consultant to other units in the assessment department in order to advise and recommend strategies for on-going evaluation of assessment tools. In addition, this Education Specialist/Psychometrician may design and implement department policies and procedures related to testing.
- Constructing tests and interpreting results for the purpose of assessing a person's intelligence, personality, skills or other psychological attributes.
- Ensuring the accuracy and validity of exams and gathering data that will be instrumental to improving the performance of an individual, diagnosing an impairment or determining aptitude for particular tasks.
- Coordinating and performing statistical analyses required for score reporting and data interpretation while utilizing a wide range of statistical software.
- Developing score interpretation materials through the application of statistical methods and indices.
- Conducting research to address issues of equating, scaling, item exposure control, differential item functioning, speediness and decision accuracy and reliability.
- Designing, developing, and documenting technical operating procedures and statistical guidelines for various programs related to educational measurement.
- Performing and interpreting data analyses such as item analyses and reliability analyses.
- Evaluating computerized-adaptive testing (CAT) and decision theory algorithms.
- Reporting results of statistical analyses in the form of graphs, charts, and tables.
- Creating, modifying, and maintaining databases for item banking.
- Providing quality control for all aspects of psychometric activities.
- Preparing and facilitating standard setting events.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Master's degree in Tests and Measurement, Educational Research, or Educational/Quantitative Psychology, or Statistics from an accredited institution.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for psychometrics, educational testing and measurement, and/or educational statistics.
Substitution: Bachelor's degree in education research, education/quantitative psychology and statistics, or statistics AND (5) years of professional experience with psychometrics, tests and measurement, educational measurement, or educational or quantitative psychology may substitute for the Master's degree, but not the specific experience.
- PhD in Psychometrics, Tests and Measurement, Educational Measurement, or Educational/Quantitative Psychology.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in psychometrics, educational testing and measurement, and/or educational statistics.
- Experience writing SAS/SPSS code.
- Experience with computer based testing.
- Demonstrated experience contributing to/appearing in academic publications and presentations.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The candidate will have considerable knowledge of using an audience response system and integrating the same in delivering exams/questionnaires. The candidate will have considerable skill in test development with knowledge of psychometrics in classical and item response theory, statistics, equating, and scaling as well as test layout, copyrights, and test publishing.
- The person in this position must have the ability to prioritize and multi-task to enhance productivity and have a high level of adaptability to manage changing demands.
- The candidate must be able to plan, organize, and schedule work for work groups and teams to accomplish project, section, and divisional tasks on tight timelines and must also be able to work as a part of a team in support of a project and deliver on deadline.
- The ability to effectively convey psychometric and technical ideas and concepts in oral and written form to stakeholders at all levels is a requirement.
- The work required in this position is advanced and highly technical.
- The candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills to construct error-free exams and explain recorded data.
- They should also be proficient in research, mathematical procedures and computer functions, and they must have sound problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to implement best practices when conducting psychometric analysis.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data from various types of higher education assessments.
- Strong project management skills.
- Effective collaboration and communication across multiple audiences, and the ability to work well in a team.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Cindy Mansfield at Cindy.Mansfield@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20295 - SOM-Radiology
Posting Date: Mar 15, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Cindy Mansfield
Posting Contact Email: Cindy.Mansfield@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00732277