Human Resources Specialist
Coast Community College District
Human Resources Specialist
Salary: $47,484.00 - $57,780.00 Annually
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: www.cccd.edu/employment. Please click on OPEN POSITIONS located in the menu bar on the left, then select your desired jobs category to access list of open positions.
Under general direction, to utilize independent judgment and initiative in providing diversified functions in support of the overall District/College Human Resources programs; provide administrative and technical support to the administrative staff, students, and the public; train and provide direction in a lead capacity as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Perform a variety of professional, technical and analytical human resources duties related to District Human Resources day-to-day operations, ensuring that work is accurate and completed in accordance with established procedures and timelines.
• Prepare, process, and maintain employment records related to hiring, termination, leaves, transfers, or promotions using human resources management system software.
• Hire employees and process hiring-related information.
• Initiate onboarding processes.
• Provide general information to employees related to compensation, benefits, schedules, and/or working conditions.
• Process all personnel action documentation and data and ensure proper approvals and compliance with established procedures.
• Initiate, schedule and conduct new employee orientations.
• Conduct exit interviews and employee check-out to ensure that necessary employment termination paperwork and processes are completed.
• Audit employment-related data and prepare required reports.
• Train, schedule, and provide direction to others as assigned; provide technical assistance to other Human Resources staff as directed.
• Ensure that all written office procedures and employment forms are current and maintained; recommend changes to internal workflow procedures as appropriate; review and process a variety of human resources forms, recommend changes as needed.
• Compose, proofread, and edit a variety of correspondence, manuals and forms; maintain pertinent files and records; compose, proofread, audit, and edit Human Resources items requiring Board action.
• Interpret, explain, and apply policies, procedures, laws, codes and regulations relating to the District Human Resources program.
• Respond to requests for information and assistance from employees, management, outside agencies and the public.
• Operate a variety of modern office equipment including computers for word processing, spreadsheets and data base management.
• Research and prepare statistical data, reports and surveys; perform human resources-related studies as directed.
• Communicate with other departments on a variety of human resources issues.
• Receive a variety of information, which may be of a confidential nature, such as medical reports, employment status, evaluation materials, and/or other human resource related documents.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Principles and practices of human resources administration and employee relations.
Applicable Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
Professional business letter composition and report preparation.
Computers, specified programs, and applicable software.
Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, vocabulary, and arithmetical processes.
Oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills using diplomacy, tact and patience.
Provide technical information and assistance to others concerning employment policies, practices, and procedures.
Learn, interpret, explain and apply federal, state and local laws, codes, rules and regulations related to area of assignment.
Learn, interpret, explain and apply District organization, operations, policies and objectives related to classified and/or certificated personnel.
Conduct research and maintain records and prepare reports.
Operate office equipment, including a computer and specified programs.
Navigate intermediate to advanced technical software.
Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Work confidentially using discretion.
Work independently with little supervision.
Meet schedules and timelines.
Promote and encourage a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of the District community.
Education and Experience:
Possession of an Associate's degree or equivalent.
Three (3) years of clerical and technical experience in the human resources field.
Or, any combination of education and experience that would provide the required equivalent qualifications.
Conditions of Employment
This is a regular, full-time, 12-month per year, classified position. The normal hours of work will be 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday; some flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekend hours is required to meet the needs of the department. The effective date of employment will be arranged with the supervisor.
Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Coast Community College District policies, procedures, and Title IX. (Reference: BP/AP 5910)
The Coast Community College District celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the District's strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
PAY PHILOSOPHY: Starting salaries for support staff positions begin at Step-1 of the salary range. All movement on the salary schedule will occur July 1 of each year for all classified employees.
ATTENTION: Before applying, please be sure to review the Coast Colleges District Board Policy regarding Nepotism (BP 7310 (Download PDF reader)) to check if your application may be impacted. If you have any questions, please contact HR Recruitment at 714-438-4714 or 714-438-4716.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: To be considered for this opportunity, you must submit a COMPLETE application packet. A complete application packet includes:
A complete Coast Community College District Online Employment Application.
A current resume (uploaded as a separate attachment - PDF recommended).
A cover letter (uploaded as a separate attachment - PDF recommended) which highlights your qualifications as related to this position and addresses the core competencies (the four C's) as listed below:
Answers to all supplemental questions (please provide clear and thorough responses as they will be carefully evaluated to determine the most qualified candidate(s) to be invited for an interview; please do not paste your resume, or put "see resume" or "N/A").
Submission of all required application information and materials is the responsibility of the applicant.
Applications must be received no later than the posted closing date. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. Electronic applications may be completed by visiting www.cccd.edu/employment. Once you have completed an electronic application, you may apply to open positions within the Coast Community College District by submitting the application and all other required materials. Required materials differ for each open position and must be complete when submitted for a specific posting. Instructions for completing applications and applying to posted positions are available online or by calling Applicant Processing at (714) 438-4714 or (714) 438-4716.
Information for TDD users is available by calling (714) 438-4755.
All applications will be screened under a process of utmost confidentiality by a committee of representatives from the college community. All application materials become the property of the Coast Community College District and will NOT be copied or returned. Any documents that you are unable to attach can be faxed to (714) 782-6065. Faxes must clearly indicate your name and the job to which you are applying.
To ensure consistency and fairness to all applicants, please do not submit materials in addition to those requested. Additional materials will not be considered or returned. Be sure to complete all questions and sections of the application. For questions which may not apply, indicate "n/a" (not applicable). If you do not know an answer, please indicate so, but do not leave any space blank.
If you require accommodations in the Application or Examination Process, please notify Human Resources by calling (714) 438-4714 or (714) 438-4716.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer