Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Department: Facilities - Custodial
Location: Alfred or Wellsville, NY
Posted: Mar 07, '17
Alfred State College is currently seeking applications for current and future positions of Cleaner. Cleaners perform a variety of routine manual tasks requiring light, medium, and heavy physical effort in cleaning and caring for an assigned area in public buildings and adjacent grounds and sidewalks.
Cleaners work independently or as part of a work team that performs a wide range of specialized and routine cleaning activities such as stripping and polishing floors, window washing, vacuuming, trash and recycling removal, dusting and cleaning walls, office space, kitchens and common areas, hospital and clean rooms, laboratories, residential facilities, and restrooms. The nature of the cleaning assignments ranges from light, medium, to heavy physical effort. The class is non-supervisory.
- Washes floors, corridors, stairs and stairwells, walls, partitions, windows from the inside or outside of buildings using mops, brushes, detergents, buffers, floor scrubbers, and other cleaning implements.
- Collects, transports, and disposes of medical waste or spoiled linens in accordance with cleaning procedures.
- Cleans blood spills and bodily fluids, including urine, vomit, and feces.
- Strips and waxes floors; vacuums and shampoos carpets; and dusts assigned areas using manual or mechanical equipment.
- Cleans and scrubs all areas of lavatories and locker rooms, such as sinks, urinals, toilets, showers, shower walls and drains, tile floors, and locker room common areas.
- Replaces light bulbs, dusts or washes light fixtures and high places such as ceilings using ladders and scaffolds.
- Cleans and polishes furniture, metal fixtures, and equipment.
- Removes hazardous articles on floors, furniture, and equipment and places them in designated receptacles or in appropriate places.
- Moves furniture and equipment in connection with cleaning activities, or sets up for meetings or special events.
- Changes curtains and drapes, and hangs pictures and other decorative objects.
- Empties trash, recyclables, and waste, in accordance with cleaning schedule.
- Assembles cleaning cart to conform to assigned cleaning duties, and mixes and properly dilutes cleaning solutions in accordance with manufacturer directions.
- Wears appropriate protective clothing, and other specialized protective equipment as required by the cleaning assignments.
- Checks supplies and equipment functioning, and notifies supervisor of low supply levels, equipment malfunction, and building maintenance issues noted during cleaning.
- May be assigned to remove snow and salt walkways; clean sidewalks, yards, and drives; and mows lawns with manual or mechanical equipment.
- May be assigned to laboratories, clean rooms, operating rooms, or hospital, school, or custodial care settings that require a high degree of cleanliness and disinfectant processes that must be followed to minimize the spread of infection.
Applicants must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor, and able to understand and carry out written or oral instructions.
Preference will be given to those with manual labor experience, 3 years continuous employment with one employer and at least a High School diploma. Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Only on-line applications will be accepted for this position. All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background investigation. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please submit 3 professional references as an attachment when applying.
Subject shift/day/building/campus assignment as needed for College Operations