Counselor, First Year Experience Emphasis
Counselor, First Year Experience Emphasis
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 4/24/2017
West Valley College is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres in Silicon Valley. The Counseling Department is now accepting applications for a full time, tenure-track counselor with a First Year Experience emphasis. This counselor will work in collaboration with student services programs, instructional programs, and campus-wide committees in the implementation, coordination, and overall operation of all aspects of counseling related functions for the college. The counseling responsibilities of this position include teaching and providing academic, career, and personal counseling.
This position also includes a permanent assignment to work with student success related programs and activities such as student retention, early alert, and academic probation and dismissal. This position will include work within the First Year Experience learning community that serves basic skills students. First Year Experience is a cohort program for any student who places below transfer level in English and/or Math. FYE students take English, Math and/or Reading classes as well as a College Success class with students in the cohort. The counselor filling this position will teach two College Success classes, work in tandem with FYE instructors to support students in the cohort, and work with the FYE coordinator on recruiting and other programmatic initiatives.
In addition to counseling, this counselor is also expected to participate in the professional and academic work of the college. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, abilities, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, 11 month tenure track position for Fall 2017. The assignment consists of counseling and teaching. Some evening and weekend work is required.
Work location: Counseling Department, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $58,912 to $91,683 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 11 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1. Education - Possess one of the following:
- Master’s degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
- A bachelor’s degree in one of the above listed degrees AND a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT); OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Counseling; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Counseling duties and responsibilities may consist of one or more of the following:
- Counsel and advise students.
- Provide transfer information sessions to the college community.
- Advocate transfer and articulation policies to increase transfer success rate.
- Work as part of a team to plan and to coordinate transfer and counseling events.
- Coordinate with educational support programs to promote transfer of underrepresented students.
- Perform specialized work duties as necessary during registration periods.
- Provide formal in-service training.
- Participate in college and department assignments and responsibilities.
- Counselors may also be assigned to teach one or more counseling courses during a semester.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.