Technical Services Assistant
The Lewis University Library invites applications for a Technical Services Assistant to participate in technical services, digitization and resource sharing functions of the Library.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is a vigorous and growing institution located 25 miles SW of Chicago. Lewis University provides students a liberal arts-based and career-focused education, engaging students in the exploration and creation of academic, professional and personal opportunities in a supportive community. As a Catholic university in the Lasallian tradition, our approach is values-based and ethically-focused. For additional information see our website at http://www.lewisu.edu.
- Support and promote the Library Vision, offering diverse and dynamic resources and collections to its learning community in the spirit of academic inquiry and civic engagement.
- Identify and download bibliographic records for the local catalog using automated systems and current cataloging standards and protocols
- Perform copy/adaptive cataloging for library materials in all formats, including both print and electronic resources
- Update the catalog to reflect changes in the collection
- Assist with catalog record cleanup
- Prepare new materials for circulation
- Perform basic repair of library materials
- Receive and process periodicals, initiate claims for undelivered materials and maintain serials collection
- Develop and maintain updated records and data necessary for audits and reports
- Scan a variety of documents using established procedures
- Ensure proper handling of historical documents
- Use established metadata procedures to catalogue scanned documents
- Keep abreast of current trends, new developments, and best practices in areas of responsibility
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Working knowledge of Library of Congress classification, MARC formats and OCLC cataloging interface. Demonstrated proficiency in commonly used library and office software applications, such as Voyager integrated library system and Microsoft Office. Familiarity with metadata formats, such as Dublin Core. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Strong organizational skills, with ability to see projects through to completion. Ability to perform multiple tasks and cooperate in a flexible team environment.
Prior library experience in an academic library. Experience with technical service functions, including automated library systems.
Application Instructions: For a full description and to be considered for this position visit http://jobs.lewisu.edu/postings/2055
Inspired by the University’s Mission values of Wisdom, Knowledge, Justice, Fidelity and Association, the Lewis Community declares that Lewis is a Sanctified Zone where people are committed to working to end racism, bias and prejudice by valuing diversity in a safe and nurturing environment.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to diversity. Applicants of a diverse background are highly encouraged to apply, however applications will only be accepted from individuals currently authorized to work on a full-time basis in the United States.