Assistant Director, Marketing – Mason Recreation
George Mason University
Assistant Director, Marketing – Mason Recreation
George Mason University, Mason Recreation invites applications for an Assistant Director, Marketing position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Mason Recreation is committed to enriching the physical and holistic well-being of the diverse students and community that is George Mason University through quality facilities, programs and services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Programming and Well-being as a member of the Programming team, the Assistant Director, Marketing’s job duties include the creation, planning and execution of a comprehensive marketing program for Mason Recreation. The incumbent is responsible for:
- Promotion and communication of Mason Recreation programs, services and facilities;
- Development of internal and external information and educational materials designed to attract and retain users including students, memberships, rentals and special events;
- Coordinating internal departmental staff’s marketing efforts, and analyzing and measuring their results;
- Oversight of the department’s Web site content; and
- Other duties and responsibilities, including assisting with fundraising and their marketing efforts.
Program Development and Support:
- Be knowledgeable about all aspects of Mason Recreation with specific emphasis on facilities, programs and services on the Fairfax campus, as well as the EDGE on the Science and Technology campus, and the surrounding community; and ensure current and accurate information is dispensed consistently to the staff;
- Stay current with marketing trends; and analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of the marketing avenues to include social media, Web sites, electronic communication, print material, presentations, and public events;
- Work directly with appropriate program, sales, and facility staff to develop campaigns and related collateral material as tools for use in marketing new or existing programs and services;
- Analyze existing markets and recommend new and/or modified strategies that are market-driven with profit potential;
- Promote agency, client, products and services by establishing and maintaining relationships with the appropriate university and community resource;
- Compose, compile, and present reports related to marketing and assist with departmental reports; and
- Create annual marketing plans and calendar in coordination with the program team.
- Maintain the highest level of customer service at all times;
- Provide input for all customer service policies; participate in the development and implementation training conducted for customer service programs that result in pleasant, timely, and knowledgeable service for members and guests; and
- Help develop and participate in the administration of annual member/guest surveys used to obtain feedback on all aspects of Recreation.
Promotions, Public Relations and Commercial Sponsorship:
- Develop a comprehensive, integrated marketing plan with measurable results, which incorporates effective, commercial-type promotion strategies while obtaining the maximum return on investment;
- Develop and implement branding for the department; and ensure marketing material is consistent with branding for promoting programs, services and facilities;
- Improve and expand relations with campus organizations and media agencies; increase the overall coverage of Mason Recreation; write press releases and articles for internal and external media outlets both printed and online; attend meetings and events pertinent to Mason Recreation; and network to learn of accomplishments, new programs, events, etc. to promote in the press; and
- Design, implement and measure an effective sponsorship plan that involves local and regional businesses and builds partnerships for private support of the Mason Recreation mission, as required.
- Formulate and lead a student marketing team;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing training program for team members and other Mason Recreation staff, as appropriate; and regularly evaluate training to ensure it is applicable and assists meeting marketing goals;
- Advise managers regarding programs and techniques needed to increase participation/sales, with emphasis on cross-marketing efforts; and
- Target marketing and communications plans and materials as needed.
- Prepare and submit budget input for consolidation in the department’s annual operating budget; and
- Review monthly financial results from marketing efforts and prepare and submit monthly variance analysis.
- Continue to develop professionally through membership and participation in applicable professional organizations and developmental workshops; and
- Represent Mason Recreation on divisional and university-wide committees, and represent the institution on regional/national committees.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Director.
- Master’s degree in related fields to marketing and/or recreation; or a combination of education, training and experience which equates to an advanced degree;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement effective marketing strategies;
- Possess time management skills to work on and oversee multiple projects simultaneously;
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of marketing, merchandising, promotions, public relations and communication techniques;
- Able to demonstrate competency with video and/or graphic design at a department level; and
- Experience working with students.
- Two to three years of experience in recreation marketing; and
- Knowledge and experience working as a team member.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA35Cz at http://jobs.gmu.edu by April 12, 2017; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.