Manager of Budget and Planning - Business Office
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The manager of budget and planning performs complex and highly responsible job duties in the preparation, maintenance, and control of the institutional operating budget. This position is responsible for designing and implementing a budget process that supports the goals of the university. The university budget manager is responsible for analyzing, preparing and distributing accurate financial data and reports to executives, university administration, department budget managers, and other requestors. This position reports directly to the AVP of Finance. Work is performed under limited supervision with broad latitude for initiative and independent judgment and performance evaluation is based on the effective operation of the university budget process.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or business administration.
- Five years of experience in budget planning and/or financial analysis.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or other ERP software with the demonstrated ability to query data for ad hoc reporting and creating reports
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Responsible for the preparation, maintenance and support of the University's annual budget process.
- Working closely with the AVP of Finance, the Manager of Budget and Planning will be responsible for facilitating the selection, design and implementation of a budget software system
- Primary liaison between the Business Office and Community budget managers
- Partners with Human Resources to develop labor budget for the University
- Skilled in evaluating budget needs, determining approaches, evaluating impact of alternatives and making viable sound financial recommendations.
- Develop quantitative models depicting various financial events and proposals, evaluating and assessing financial and budgetary implications and formulating viable recommendations.
- Responsible for processing the University Board-approved budget in PeopleSoft financials
- Ensures budget is prepared in compliance with applicable university policies and procedures
- Analyzes and prepares accurate financial data and variance analysis for the University administration and departments.
- Assists and trains administrative and academic departments with establishing and maintaining operating budgets.
- Formulates procedures and operating policies within area of responsibility
- Perform ad hoc collection of data to create reports upon request and responsible for developing university operating budget reports to distribute to Administration, budget managers, etc.
- Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
- Performs other duties related to job description as assigned by supervisor.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Solid interpersonal communication skills to include verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness and advising skills
- Ability to efficiently prioritize, plan and organize assignments; completing tasks in a timely and accurate manner.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and systems including fund accounting preferred.
- Ability to query, access, organize and process data for analytical purposes from an ERP system (PeopleSoft and nVision preferred).
- Ability to develop and use various computing methodologies and techniques to translate large and complex dataset into understandable formats
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.