College Assistant - Legal Affairs and Labor Relations
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Under direct supervision of the Legal Counsel, the College Assistant will:
- Perform clerical tasks including, filing, data entry, and answering incoming inquiries with the utmost confidentiality.
- Write and edit correspondence to various departments within the College.
- Some evening and extended hours will be required.
NOTE: Current LaGuardia students are not eligible to apply.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong writer with the ability to proofread.
- Ability and willingness to quickly learn new procedures.
- Strong emphasis on providing excellent customer service.
- Strong communicator with excellent time management skills and attention to detail.
- Experience working with highly confidential information.
- Flexible schedule to meet department needs.
- Proficiency in both English and Spanish preferred.
Commensurate with Education and Experience
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted on-line as follows:
- Log in to CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu
- Navigate to the Employment section and click on "Search Job Postings"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the Apply Now button
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Please attach a cover letter, resume,an unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
Open Until Filled. Review of resumes will commence immediately.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: College Assistant - Legal Affairs and Labor Relations
Job ID: 16482
Full/Part Time: Part-Time