Director of Foundation Relations
The Institute for Humane Studies seeks a Director of Foundation Relations. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director is responsible for developing a foundation relations strategy, including identifying and cultivating new foundation prospects, and stewarding existing foundation relationships. The Director is responsible for establishing efficient team processes that support exemplary performance from the Foundation Relations team. The Director is also responsible for drafting and editing proposals and reports for high-value foundation grants, and supervising the proposal and reporting process for grant proposals developed by members of the team. The Director must be a strategic, innovative leader with superior communication skills and a demonstrated ability to proactively identify and seize opportunities for team improvement and organizational growth. This position works closely with senior management and executive leadership, playing an integral role in meeting the organization’s vision and strategic goals.
Founded in 1961, IHS is a nonprofit educational organization that works with college students and professors around the country to advance understanding of the principles of a free and open society. IHS offers educational programs, scholarships, mentoring, and faculty-development support that help college students and professors contribute to a freer, more prosperous, and more humane world.
- Establish and execute a foundation relations strategy that coheres with the organization’s comprehensive development strategy, identifies and cultivates new foundation prospects, stewards existing foundation relationships, and sets priorities for the Foundation Relations team.
- Work collaboratively with senior and executive leadership to set and achieve an ambitious program of fundraising success aimed at organizational growth and transformational impact.
- Supervise and mentor Foundation Relations team members, assigning projects based on individual strengths and addressing gaps in the team’s capabilities with employee development.
- Take the lead on drafting and editing high-value grant proposals and reports, ensuring they align with the organization’s vision and strategy.
- Oversee the proposal development and reporting process executed by the Foundation Relations team.
- Establish and deliver on measurable goals for the Foundation Relations team.
- Develop and maintain efficient team processes that ensure a manageable and predictable work flow and optimal knowledge-sharing within the team and across the organization.
- Ensure written materials developed by the team adhere to the organization’s brand narrative.
- Administer departmental budget.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A demonstrated track record of success in leading a fundraising team, or comparable experience
- Strong proficiency in the grants-development process including prospect research, proposal and budget development, solicitation, and gift management
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with the ability to write persuasively and quickly
- Must be an innovative thinker with a focus on strategy and the ability to smoothly implement new initiatives
- Strong organizational skills, with an ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
All IHS employees receive:
- A competitive salary that reflects your experience
- Metro-accessible location in the heart of Clarendon
- Great medical and dental benefits
- 403(b), FSAs, long-term disability, and other valuable benefits
- Free parking or transportation offset
- One free course per semester at George Mason University (GMU)
- The opportunity to do meaningful work for an awesome mission
More searches like this
- Education Alumni Relations & Development jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors
- Professional Fields Alumni Relations & Development jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors
- Business & Management Alumni Relations & Development jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors
- Communication & Journalism Alumni Relations & Development jobs in C-Level & Executive Directors