University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Hem/Onc/BMT
Assistant Professor, MD
Position #0732225 - Requisition #08838
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant is seeking a physician to work in the BMT program. The successful candidate will have a schedule in which s/he works with other attending physicians on the Pediatric BMT service, lead the BMT advance practice providers, fellows, and residents in organizing each day's inpatient rounds, procedures, and family conferences. The schedule is such that there is dedicated time for academic activity in Clinical or Translational research in any of the specialties, or other interests as developed by the candidate and agreed upon by the Section leadership.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provide independent care of pediatric bone marrow transplant patients on the inpatient hospital service.
- Provide independent care of pediatric bone marrow transplant patients in the outpatient clinic and infusion center
- Evaluate new patients for suitability of bone marrow transplantation
- Communicate with referring physicians regarding shared patients on the bone marrow transplant service
- Lead BMT advance practice providers (APPs: physician's assistants and nurse practitioners) in the care of both inpatients and outpatients
- Provide education and supervision to medical students, residents and fellows in the inpatient and outpatient settings
- Write admission, discharge, acute care, and chemotherapy orders in collaboration with other physicians and advanced practice providers
- Provide coordination of care between the inpatient and outpatient settings
- Participate in the treatment of patients on clinical research protocols
- Coordinate multi-disciplinary care with other hospital and outpatient services
- Coordinate and assist with education of new patients and families
- Participate in Quality/Safety, Process Improvement Initiatives and conduct investigator initiated research studies in the field of pediatric bone marrow transplantation
- Provide educational support to nursing and support staff
- Perform procedures independently:
- Lumbar punctures with intrathecal chemotherapy administration
- Bone marrow aspirations/biopsies
- Skin or simple tissue biopsies
- Bone marrow harvests
- Ommaya access with chemotherapy administration
- This position will also have shared holiday, weekend and night call responsibilities.
- MD or DO; must be board certified/eligible in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. Must achieve board certification in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology within two (2) years of completing fellowship. Continuous Maintenance of Certification is required;
- Training and expertise in pediatric Hematology, Oncology and/or BMT;
- U.S. citizen or the equivalent
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check.
- Must be willing and able to passa10 panel drug test through Childen's Hospital Colorado.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to independently care for and manage complex Pediatric Hematology/Oncology/BMT patients in an academic setting;
- High customer service skills, team-based patient care, and ability to meet productivity targets are expected.
- Experience in independent care of pediatric hematology/oncology/BMT patients for at least one year after completion of Fellowship training;
- Pediatric BMT subspecialty training preferred (can substitute for a year of experience listed above)
- Record of sustained independent funding of clinical research or laboratory work, with preference given to candidates who have secured at least one cycle of renewed funding
- Active Colorado state license and DEA Certification
- Continuous maintenance of Certification
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 08838
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Mar 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Michael Verneris
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00732225