Instructional Support Coordinator
Instructional Support Coordinator
University of San Diego
Department: Information Technology Services
Instructional Support Coordinator is accountable for support, research, design and development pedagogically effective tools in support of the teaching and learning (a) Conceptualizes and builds interactive content for online courses, disseminating best practices in e-learning, develops online, face-to-face, and mobile resource materials for faculty and student training; works under strict deadlines, maintain quality based on proven instructional design theories. (b) A dynamic trainer conducting faculty/staff development workshops for the university's learning management system (LMS), and other IT supported software and other integrated technologies (c) Provides comprehensive instructional technology support/consultation to faculty, promoting effective teaching and learning practices; exhibits proficiency with a wide array of educational technologies, (d) Maintains Instructional Technology support websites/course templates implementing best practices and instructional design methodologies, (e) Works within team to plan and develop projects, events and outreach programs requiring complex preparation and planning in support of faculty and student teaching and learning, (f) assists with establishing policies regarding acquisition and maintenance of hardware and software related to the use of educational tools. (g) Researches emerging technologies appropriate for use in curriculum and assesses relevance; (g) Creates strategies for and executes implementation of initiatives on campus using project/time management skills, tools, and software to manage complexities, details, and assessment; evaluates effectiveness of piloted applications and formulates recommendations for or against further adoption; (h) Evaluates and assesses effectiveness of instructional delivery, and facilitates use of special applications for delivery of optimized animation, graphics, digitization, sound, video-editing, templates, etc. (i) Oversees and manages all administrative aspects of the Student Technology Assistant Program (STA); program development, guidance and consultation to students throughout their course of employment. (j) Coordination, collaboration and distribution of assignments in support of the academic initiatives (mobile projects, faculty orientation, outreach and related technology events); work closely with members of the department on various assignments and cross-functional intra-departmental projects. Exhibits outstanding critical thinking skills, manages and documents multiple ongoing projects efficiently, provides excellent customer service. This position receives general guidance from the Manager of Instructional and Media Services and exercises supervision over Graduate Student Assistants, student workers, and interns.
Examples of Work:
- Training, Consulting, Support and Outreach Events
- Learning Management System and Integrated Technology
- Student Technology Assistant (STA)
- Student Technology Assistant (STA)
Bachelor's degree in instructional technology or related educational field; at least five-eight years of experience providing classroom technology support; or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Demonstrated strong project management and leadership skills, great communications and interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team and/or work alone. Working knowledge of copyright and ADA guidelines. Five years of solid experience in support of LMS and learning technologies.
Proficiency in design-related applications, and have teaching experience in these applications:
- Strong working knowledge and experience with the university learning management system (LMS) (certification preferred) and other integrated components
- Knowledge of and experience with a variety of instructional technologies including lecture capture, desktop capture/publishing, classroom response systems, web conferencing
- Creating, designing and developing instructional contents aligned with pedagogy
- Strong with emerging technology in learning and adapting curriculum design to mobile learning environment
- Knowledge of and experience with web 2.0 applications such as photo galleries, social networking, presentation tools, and mobile applications.
- Knowledge of web authoring applications including web site and image/graphic development and editing, screen capture, HTML, XML
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- PHP coding (basic knowledge)
Demonstrated expertise in developing instructional resources;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, standard web technologies, languages and authoring tools, and graphic/multimedia development tools (Adobe/Apple);
- Experience with distributive course management systems; Portfolio or online examples of completed projects
- Experienced, innovative, and enthusiastic Instructional Designer
- Research, introduce and implement emerging educational technologies while assisting faculty with development, assessment and evaluation.
- Attending, presenting, or conducting technology support related classes and events
Server Knowledge- General knowledge and understanding
- Strong Knowledge of LMS server GUI administration
- Basic understanding of Apache Server-Side includes (SSI)
- Apache Server Commands (.htaccess, basic knowledge: passwords, redirects)
- Knowledge of Windows server environment
- Database driven applications
- Linux and Unix--Unix file management
Instructional Design Skills
- Knowledge of online instructional design theories and practices
- Demonstrated experience integrating technology into the teaching/learning process
- Proficiency in development and delivery of technology-based interactive training, workshops, consultation/tutorials for faculty/staff/students
- Experience and understanding of design and development of web-based instruction
- Experience with video and audio production and with web based graphics
- Develop methodologies and assessment techniques that address pedagogy and materials usability
- Ensure the pedagogical integrity of projects through systematic instructional design and clear project planning, scripting, and storyboarding
- Work with faculty and staff to develop resources and processes that promote online and hybrid learning.
- Ability to assess user needs and use consultative skills to provide support
- Advise faculty in determining appropriate instructional goals and objectives
- Leading the planning, analysis, design, development, deployment and evaluation processes of learning material
- Demonstrated ability to provide a high level of customer service in a consistent manner
- Excellent public communication skills and the ability to interact well with faculty, staff, students and others in the working environment
- Excellent skills in both written and oral communications -- experienced in writing professional articles and in presenting professional and technical and non-technical topics to campus community and in conference settings
- Supervisory and management skill--ability to organize, categorize and prioritize workload effectively and efficiently, under minimal supervision.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Must be a self-starter, original, innovative, result oriented
- Effective project/time management skills requiring balancing multiple projects and functioning in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work and develop product in a team-centered approach for faculty development and support
- Work under pressure and deadline with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment in working with multicultural populations
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 per week; Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
For full application instructions and position description, please visit the University of San Diego website