Executive Director Global Resilience Institute
Executive Director Global Resilience Institute
Requisition Number: STFR003585
Division/College: Research and Graduate Education
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
The newly established Global Resilience Institute at Northeastern University will devise and advance resilience solutions that help to meet the biggest global challenges in health, security, and sustainability. The world is marked by intensifying turbulence to include climate change and naturally-occurring disasters, terrorism and cyber threats, and epidemics and antimicrobial resistance. Resilience is the ability to prepare for and adapt to changing conditions, and to withstand and recover rapidly from disruptions when they occur. The Global Resilience Institute (GRI) is seeking an Executive Director who will provide senior managerial and administrative leadership for a university-wide research institute that involves all 9 colleges at Northeastern and that supports collaboration with research universities involved in resilience-related research globally. This is an exciting role for a highly qualified and motivated individual with the financial background, knowledge of internal university policies, and planning procedures to lead GRI with the appropriate staff and infrastructure to implement its ambitious strategic plan.
The Executive Director for GRI will report directly to the founding Director and will serve as a key senior-level manager to support the Director of GRI in developing and executing the strategic mission. The successful candidate will have significant responsibilities to ensure the overall success of the unit to include supporting collaborative arrangements across the university's colleges and externally amongst partner research institutes from around the globe. He/she will be responsible for directing the overall business management to include assisting in assembling and supporting teams of interdisciplinary research collaborative units; ensuring all business operations are met by providing proper fiscal and human resources management for a solutions-oriented environment; and providing direct and indirect supervision of administrative staff. This includes managing grant administration and communications staff to guarantee grant operations are met to meet the research and outreach goals of the institute.
The Executive Director will also be responsible for maintaining relationships between internal Northeastern University units, and external partners (International, federal, state, and industry as needed per the Director's directive). One key research partner and collaborative institute to GRI is the Kostas Research Institute for Homeland Security (KRI). As a research partner of this program, this unit will collaborate on advancing research opportunities in this area for NU.
• Minimum of 7 years of related administrative experience in an academic setting;
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred;
• Extensive understanding of the organization’s business operations and industry very strongly preferred; knowledgeable of emerging trends and institutional practices;
• Proven managerial success and financial aptitude, and with a proven track record for achieving results will be an asset;
• Experience in both pre and post award grant administration preferred;
• Must be able to promote and implement best practices for financial and human resource development;
• A healthy mix of tenacity, commitment and pragmatism to successfully lead a team and grow business; within a competitive and challenging environment;
• Experience developing, leading and coaching a team of successful professionals;
• Proven ability to prepare and deliver professional documents and presentations to all levels of an organization;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, problem solving and negotiation skills;
• Strong verbal and written skills;
• Strong technical skills with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe, Powerpoint;
• Experience with university databases/systems (e.g., Banner, TM1, Time Tracking, Concur, etc.);
• Must have ability to learn new software, including databases and online organization tools;
• Experience with technology problem solving issues desirable.
This position requires a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.